Two girls in their teenage were killed on Saturday night in Nigeria’s northeastern town of Maiduguri as they attempted to blow themselves up.
Nigerian police confirmed about the incident on Sunday saying the two girls were killed by security officers after they were spotted wearing explosive vests under their clothes.
“Two female suicide bombers aged about 18 attempted to enter Maiduguri in the evening (Saturday) and were spotted by civilian JTFs (Joint Task Force) and then shot down by security service personnel in the area,” Borno state police spokesman Victor Isuku said in a statement and referenced by media channels.
The explosives on the girls were reportedly detonated after the incident by the police explosive ordinance department team (EOD).
Boko Haram an affiliate of Islamic State (also known as western province) regularly uses suicide bombers, including women, as part of its eight-year-old insurgency in the Muslim majority north of Nigeria.
- 2 Girls ‘Suicide Bombers’ Blow Themselves Up near Crowded Nigerian Market Two young girls possibly seven or eight year old died in an explosion in a crowded […]
- Nigerian Troops Repel Boko Haram Suicide Bombers, Kill 6 Militants MAIDUGURI, Nigeria, 17/2/2017: Latest military reports from Nigeria indicate at least […]
- Female Suicide Bombers Detonate Themselves, Killing 8 at Refugee Camp in Northeast Nigeria MAIDUGURI, Nigeria, April 21, 2016 Two suicide bombers detonated their vest […]
- Islamic State Announces Abu Musab al-Barnawi New Boko Haram Emir, Shekau Insists He is Still In-charge The Middle East based Islamic State on Wednesday3rd August 2016 in an audio released […]
- At Least 76 Starved Boko Haram Militants Surrender To Nigerian Military; Begging For Food And Water Maiduguri, Nigeria- March 2, 2016: Nigeria’s military has reported dozens of scrawny […]
- Two Killed in a Foiled Suicide Attack in Maiduguri, Nigeria A young suicide bomber and a local vigilante lost their lives in a foiled suicide […]
- 6, Including 4 Female Teenage Bombers Killed in Maiduguri, Nigeria Wednesday, 15/3/207, at least six people, including four female teenage suicide […]
- Nigeria Police Launch Manhunt of Lagos School-girls Kidnappers OSINT SUMMARY March 3, 2016, Nigeria police launched an operation aimed at rescuing […]