Somalia President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed speaking on Thursday at Somalia conference held in London and attended by world leaders implored United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to lift arms embargo on the country in order to acquire weapons and defeat Al-Shabaab.
President Farmajo noted there is need to equip Somali National Army (SNA) better in order to drive Al-Shabaab out of the remaining cities and regions.
In the liberated regions, Somali government is set to set up own administration, police stations and courts. The president called on International Community to partner with Federal government to stabilize the country.
The president also told the delegate that Al-Shabaab terrorist group cannot be defeated by Somali security forces who only are equipped with AK 47, the same weapons that Al-Shabaab also possess.
President Farmajo said there is need for the Federal government to acquire modern weapons with better quality to defeat the terror group. He requested the UNSC to lift the arms embargo on Somalia.
He acknowledged that the partial lifting of the arms embargo on Somalia in 2013 was not enough to defeat Al-Shabaab and now is the time to obtain sophisticated weapons to defeat the militant group.
He also spoke on the issues such as humanitarian issues, trade and investment in the country saying Somalia is full of resources.
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Al Muhajiroun Denies Links To Radical Preacher Accused Of Terrorism In The UK Event: Radical preacher Anjem Choudary appeared before Westminster Magistrates’ […]
- Somali Asks UN Security Council for Complete Lift Arms Embargo OSINT SUMMARY Somalia’s President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud has asked […]
- Al-Shabaab Arms Smuggler Arrested in Dadaab Refugee Camp DADAAB Kenya, March 14, 2016 A high ranking Al-Shabaab operative was over […]
- Somali Military Court Sentences Two to Life Imprisonment for Daallo Airline Attack OSINT SUMMARY A Somali-based military court today 30th May 2016 has […]
- Russia Calls on Loosening of Arms Embargo on Somalia Russia has called for loosening of arms embargo on Somalia saying the country need to […]
- Kenyan Official: Repatriation of Somalia Refugees Continues Humanely Repatriation of Somalia refugees living in Kenya’s Dadaab complex continue to […]
- Somali President Fires NISA Chief Spy OSINT SUMMARY June 15, 2016, Somali President fired chief spy of the National […]