Tanzanian police in Mtwara region have arrested 11 people suspected of taking part in al-Shabaab military training, Tanzania’s The Citizen reported Tuesday (October 8th).
“We were tipped off a week ago that there was a group of people undergoing intensive military drills in the forest. We acted swiftly and nabbed them,” said Regional Police Commander Zelothe Stephen at a news conference on Monday.
The suspects were arrested at Makolionga Mountain in Nanyumbu District in possession of locally made firearms and 25 digital video discs containing al-Shabaab training manuals, Stephen said.
Police are still interrogating the suspects, who range in age between 18 and 39, and are all from Nanyumbu District. The suspects will appear in court once the investigations are complete, Stephen said.
Additional detectives have been deployed to Mtwara to beef up security following the operation.
- Tanzania Admits Al-Shabaab Terrorists Attacking its Citizens and Police Tanzania has admitted to facing terror attacks targeting its citizens and security […]
- Kenya Warned to Closely Guard its Water Bodies against Terrorist Invasion Kenya has once again received an awakening call to beef up security on all its water […]
- Kenya Navy Operations; The Kenyans Behind Kenya’s Maritime Zone The Kenya Navy is the maritime arm of the Kenyan military forces with officers who have […]
- Tanzania Attorney General Writes to ICC to Have Kenya’s Deputy President Case Heard in Arusha. Attorney General Frederick Mwita Werema has poked hole on ICC prosecutors office […]
- Al Hijra Sets Camp in Tanzania Al Hijra – the Kenyan arm of al Shabaab – has extended its terror tentacles and has now […]
- Equity Bank Kenya Expanding Wings To 10 West and Southern African Countries Leading Kenyan commercial bank, Equity Bank plans to expand to 10 African countries in […]
- Ugandan Soldiers Trained Al-Shabaab Gunners in AlJazeera Camp UPDF instructors trained 10 Al-Shabaab militants inside their facility in Somalia where […]
- Major-General Ngewa Mukala, Commander Kenya Navy, Successful Kenya Navy Operations Leader The commencement of Operation Linda Nchi (to mean protect the country in Swahili) by the […]