UN human right commission has warned several times of what is happening in South Sudan saying the 'ethnic cleansing' taking place in the war-torn country may escalate into ‘genocide’.
The commission say it has observation dire humanitarian crisis, burning of villages and rape being used as weapons of war across the country.
The conflict in the world youngest nation has seen over 4,000 South Sudanese crossing into Uganda every day. Bidibidi refugee settlement, open since August, now hosts over 188,000 people.
Another 36,600 refugees have reached Ethiopia since early September, and over 57,000 fled to Congo this year.
Three-member commission established earlier this year complete a 10-day visit to South Sudan but warned of worse days ahead if the ethnic conflict is not contained.
South Sudan leaders including President Salva Kiir have denied that ethnic cleansing is taking place.
In a statement released on Thursday, the commission says "the stage is being set for a repeat of what happened in Rwanda" in 1994 – a reference to the killing of 800,000 people, mostly Tutsis and moderate Hutus, in the space of three months.
- Escalating War in South Sudan Could Lead to Refugees Influx in Uganda UN has warned of the escalating war in South Sudan could see more refugees flee to […]
- South Sudan Refugee Crisis Now Largest Surge in Africa South Sudan’s years of civil has forced more than 1.5 million people to flee […]
- UN Adviser Warns of Looming ‘Genocide’ in South Sudan A United Nations (UN) adviser has warned of a looming genocide in South […]
- South Sudan Opposition Rebels Gang Up to Oust President Salva Kiir Seven South Sudan opposition rebels have ganged up to oust President Salva […]
- Security Heightened in Mogadishu as Somalia Set to Host IGAD Summit OSINT SUMMARY Security has been heightened up in Mogadishu as Somalia is set […]
- Japan Approves for Troops for Rescue Missions in South Sudan Japan on Tuesday approved a plan to send its troops to South Sudan on a U.N. […]
- U.S. Military Ends Operation against Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) in Central Africa US military wrapped up an operation against the Lord’s Resistance Army […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]