It has emerged that, splinter groups among South Sudan’s rival parties is threating to derail ceasefire efforts meant to bring to an end war in the world’s youngest nation.
According to a report by Ceasefire and Transitional Security Arrangements Monitoring Mechanism (CTSAMM), the presence and emergence of different armed groups in other areas still remains a challenge in bringing peace to South Sudan.
Briefing a stakeholders meeting on the issue of ceasefire, Ethiopian military officer Maj-Gen Molla Hailemariam told the audience that warring sides have violated the peace deal, and more could worsen the situation if new rebel groups continue to emerge.
CTSAMM is an organ made up of representatives from warring parties that signed the peace agreement to ceasefire in 2015. The organ also include representatives of political parties, former detainees, women’s guild, civil society organizations, clerics, the African Union, donors and the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD).
- Former Rebel Leader, Riek Machar Botched Return in Juba JUBA, South Sudan, Apr 19, 2016 The long awaited return of the former rebel […]
- South Sudan Crisis is Escalating: UN Report UN: March 3, 2016, Report by United Nations has said South Sudan crisis is […]
- Uncertainty Looms as South Sudan Ex-general Forms Rebellion Faction to Oust Govt Uncertainty looms in South Sudan as ex-general reportedly forms a rebellion group […]
- U.S. Warns South Sudan Leaders of Sanctions if Fails to Cooperate Juba South Sudan, April 28, 2016 U.S. has warned South Sudan leaders of dire […]
- Japanese Military Team Arrive in South Sudan Japanese military team of 130-strong soldiers arrived in South Sudan on Monday 21st […]
- South Sudan Govt Rejects Machar’s Faction to Strike New Peace Deal South Sudan government under President Salva Kiir has rejected the latest call by […]
- Fresh Clashes in South Sudan Risks Return to Civil War Fresh clashes in South Sudan risk the country into plunging back to civil war. The […]
- South Sudan Rebel Leader Riek Machar Arrives in Juba, Sworn in as Vice President JUBA South Sudan South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar finally arrives in the […]