South Sudan Gen. Gathoth Gatkuoth, commander of rebel forces in Upper Nile state announced his forces had taken control of Madeng area, which has been under control of the country’s main opposition led by Riek Machar.
South Sudan People’s Liberation Movement in Opposition (SPLM-IO) defected commander, Major General Gathoth Gatkuoth, who claimed to be the overall commander of the alleged defected forces said that he had seized Mandeng area which was under opposition leader Riek Machar.
Gen. Gathoth Gatkuoth who is also commander of rebel forces in Upper Nile state Thursday announced his battle with the country’s main armed opposition.
Gatkuoth says he is now fighting against both President Salva Kiir’s government and the opposition led by Machar.
In August the defectors claimed that they captured Pagak, Machar’s headquarters near the Ethiopian border, and allegedly killed former commissioner of Leer County.
He has claimed that Machar has no powerful force but depends on commanders who were loyal to him and who are now defecting.
The civil strife that has crippled South Sudan has been a battle field between Salva Kiir’s government and his former deputy turn rebel leader Riek Machar.
The new developments come even as the two major worrying parties in the country show no serious commitment to abide by the peace process to end the months of civil strife in the country.
The new twist of situation sees opposition defectors who claim to be allied neither to the government nor to the main opposition join the battlefield. Their new powerful entry could likely dissuade the opposition advances against the government. Alternatively, it would have the government dealing with a new threat.
- South Sudan Army (SPLA) Refute Report of Ongoing Fighting around Juba Claimed by Rival Army (SPLA-IO) EVENT SUMMARY In the past few days, opposition army loyal to the former First […]
- Why Forces behind South Sudan Rivals Will Determine the Fate of Peace Process Event Summary There has been a spate of attacks in South Sudan between […]
- President Salva Kiir Assigns Former Rebel Leader to Top Military Command Highlight: South Sudan’s president, Salva Kiir issued a republican order assigning a […]
- South Sudan Rebel Group Military Shake-Up amid Growing Rift within Opposition Highlight: OSINT sources on Tuesday, 21 July reported the […]
- New Rebel Group in South Sudan Gives Demands in Ending Hostilities Highlights Towards the end of October, 2015, a new rebel group in South Sudan […]
- South Sudan Looming Border Disparity with Sudan around Oil Facilities Event Summary As On 13th July 2015: Sudan masses troops on its border with […]
- KDF Border Deployment After Ethiopian Forces Clash with Kenya Police Kenya Defence Force (KDF) was deployed to guard and keep the border safe after […]
- South Sudanese Rival Factions Clash in Bieh State February 16, 2017 Fresh clashes erupted between South Sudanese rival factions in the […]