Somalia’s Puntland administration through an announcement on March 16, 2016 by the Information Minister Mohamud Hassan extended amnesty to al Shabaab fighters that surrendered. The announcement came after dozens of militants arrived by boats, seized towns for a few hours en route to the mountainous Bari region.
The militants who have been linked to the de facto leader of the ISIS-affiliated faction of the al Shabaab were engaged by the Puntland security forces that killed at least 20 militants driving the others to retreat and hide in holes and caves.
The amnesty call was extended to both the young fighters and the leader as a way of motivating the mislead youths into surrendering to the government. Surveys have indicated that due to the economic and security turmoil in Somalia, youths are forced into joining the al Shabaab to be able to fend for their families by a mere promise of a better future with the fighters.
The amnesty offer comes at such a time when Somalia is preparing for the general elections that seek to unify all the states under one firm federal government despite many hurdles and dispute on the preferred 4.5 clan based electoral model adopted earlier in the year.
- 20 ISIS-Affiliated Al Shabaab Members Killed By Puntland Forces In Suuj Viilage Northern Somalia March 17, 2016: Security forces of Somalia’s Puntland state have killed 20 al […]
- Roadside IED Hits Puntland Military Vehicle in Galgala Mountains A roadside Improvised Explosive Device (IED) has hit a military […]
- 70 Al Shabaab Killed, 30 Arrested In Puntland As Militants Flee The KDF’s Dominated South Towards Northern Somalia Highlights: At least 70 al Shabaab have been killed and 30 others arrested […]
- African Union (AU) Welcomes Election of Somalia’s new President, Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo African Union (AU) has welcomed election of Somalia’s new president, Mohamed […]
- Islamic State in Puntland, Somalia Driven Outside Qandala Port Town An Islamic State faction in semi-autonomous Puntland continues to dwindle in numbers […]
- Blast Hit Close to Army Checkpoint in Outskirts of Mogadishu Hours after Al-Shabaab Vow Attack A huge explosion was reported in the outskirts of Mogadishu hours after Harakat […]
- Returnee Militants Reveal Reality within Al Shabaab Terror Group Highlight Radicalized youths into Somali terror group Harakat Al Shabaab Al […]
- Intelligence Officials Warns of Budding Islamic State in Somalia ISLAMIC STATE GROWTH IN SOMALIA, May 5, 2016 Intelligence officials […]