MOGADISHU: 28th September 2015, Community policing was officially launched in Mogadishu’s Yaqshid District.
The partnership initiative between the Somalia Police Force (SPF) and the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) is aimed at enhancing security in the capital Mogadishu.
The residents of Yaqshid district also expected to fully be involved in the partnership to help curb crime in the city.
Yaqshid District Commissioner Osman Adawe who was the host of the meeting said the government partnering with AMISOM will increase security to make sure Mogadishu is safe. However, he stressed the need of sharing intelligence/information that would enhance the security.
Residents were also provided with a hotline number 888 and urged to use it in reporting crime to the relevant security authorities.
Somalia Police Force have also been receiving intensive training from the AMISOM Police Unit Trainers to improve on their skills as well as on how to handle various crime scenarios.
The joint partnership between Somalia Police Force and AMISOM has reached many communities across Somaliland with sole aim of educating residents the importance of closely working with security forces.
Community policing is also practiced in neighbouring countries such as Kenya, whereby locals learn how to work closely with security agencies in terms of sharing intelligence that in turn helps security authorities’ work on the shared information to curb crime.
The meeting attracted hundreds of women and youths across Yaqshid one of the biggest districts in the city of Mogadishu. Also in attendance was Adawe’s deputy on Security and Political Affairs Shukri Hussein Osoble.
According to Randolph Sumiah of AMISOM Police Unit, the community policing that has been on-going in various districts is already bearing fruits and is improving the levels of security.
He stressed the need for people to give information to the police citing it is the only way they can be effective in ensuring there is law and order.
- AMISOM Community Policing Drive Welcomed at Karaan District, Mogadishu KEY HIGHLIGHTS Residents of Karaan, one of Mogadishu’s districts have welcomed […]
- Somalia Police Force & AMISOM Takes Community Policing Drive to Abdul Asiis Residents in Banaadir Region KEY HIGHLIGHTS Thursday 8th October 2015, residents of Abdul Asiis district, in […]
- Somalia Police Scale Up Security Measures in Jowhar Event Summary Somalia government police and soldiers launched an operation in […]
- Mortar Shells Target Halane African Union Military Base in Mogadishu, Somalia EVENT SUMMARY Halane military camp, the largest AU military base located in the […]
- African Union Calls For Strengthening Somali National Army To Counter Security Challenge in Somalia REBUILDING SOMALI NATIONAL ARMY AU has called on rebuilding of the Somali National […]
- Dozens Arrested in Massive Swoop in Mogadishu Joint Security Ops Dozens of terror suspects have been arrested in Mogadishu in a joint security operations […]
- Mortar Attack Leaves Four Killed in Mogadishu, Somalia OSINT SUMMARY MOGADISHU: Thursday 25th February, Latest updates from Somalia indicate […]
- Fierce Fight Between SNA, AMISOM & Al-Shabaab Militants in Hudur, Somalia HUDUR: Monday 7th September 2015, a fierce fight has reportedly been […]