Latest reports from Somali’s semi-autonomous state of Puntland indicate that the commercial vessel that was hijacked was released together with the crew after almost one week in captivity.
According to a Mowlid Hassan, an officer with Puntland Maritime Police Forces, the vessel and crew was released with no ransom to the pirates.
The release was negotiated by local leaders and pirates representatives who seized the vessel carrying oil on Monday.
Security official Ahmed Mohamed said the pirates have left the ship, which is now heading to Bossaso port, the region’s commercial hub.
Earlier on Thursday, at least two Puntland soldiers were wounded after they exchanged gunfire with the pirates.
The number of attacks by Somali pirates has dropped significantly in the past five years. This was the first reported attack on a merchant vessel off the coast of Somalia in more than five years.
- Somali Security Forces Take Over Boat Seized by Pirates Somali security forces managed to take over boat that had been seized by Somali […]
- Suspected Somali Pirates Seize Merchant Vessel Carrying Oil from UAE Suspected Somali pirates have seized a merchant vessel carrying oil from The United […]
- Puntland Sends Maritime Forces to Bari Coastal Areas on Rescue Mission of Vessel Hijacked by Somali Pirates Somali’s Puntland has deployed more maritime forces to the coastal areas of […]
- Puntland Government Forces Displays Freed hijacked Vessel, Sri-Lankan & Crew Puntland government forces on Sunday displayed the freed hijacked vessel Aris 13 and […]
- Galmudug Security Forces Free 9 Seamen from Somali Pirates Is piracy returning to Somalia? Over the past weeks, Somali pirates have stepped up […]
- U.S. Court Sentences 3 Somali Pirates; 2 Sentenced to Life in Prison A U.S. court has sentenced three Somali pirates. Two Somali pirates have been […]
- Somali National Army Troops Kill 7 Al-Shabaab Militants in Abdalla-Birole Southern Somalia MILITARY BRIEF March 2, 2016, Official military reports from Somalia indicate […]
- EU Naval Force Warships Joins Fresh Counter Piracy Patrols Off Somalia In the past week, EU warships have joined fresh counter piracy off the coast of […]