Mogadishu, Wednesday 22/2/2017: Security in Somalia has been scaled-up as Africa African Leaders visit Mogadishu to attend President Farmajo’s inauguration ceremony.
Sources indicate that Mogadishu is lock down as military personnel drawn from AMISOM’s KDF, UPDF and specially-trained forces from the Somalia National Army (SNA) and police are deployed in all corners of Mogadishu from the airport.
Military has created a buffer effectively cordoning the venue where the ceremony will take place.
Considering the stream of attacks that have been carried out in Somalia of late, security forces are on high alert as threats from terror group Al-Shabaab remain high.
After President of Somalia was declared, the Al-Qaeda linked Al-Shabaab released a statement referring to him as an apostate and have vowing to fight his government.
On 16 February, last week, Al-Shabaab combatants launched a mortar attack on the presidential palace popularly known as Villa Somalia in Mogadishu when a ceremonyinvolving elected Somalia president and his predecessor Hassan Sheikh was going on.
Farmajo managed to floor 19 other candidates including the former leader.
Kenya’s President Uhuru honoured President Farmajo’s invitation pledging Kenya’s support to his administration.
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Scholar Says Kenya New Counter-terrorism Strategies Paying Off The new new counter-terrorism strategies embraced by the Kenya and bilateral partners […]
- Somalia Signs New International Agreement to Beef Up Security Somalia in the recently concluded London Conference signed a security agreement with its […]
- Kenyan President Invited to Farmajo’s Inauguration Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta received a message from Somalia’s […]
- Mortar Shelling Lands Near Villa Somalia, Kills 2 Children At least three people including two children have been killed after several mortar […]
- Somalia President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud Asks AMISOM’s Help Secure Coming Elections Somalia President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud has expressed concerns over the security of […]
- AMISOM Need 9,000 More Army Soldiers in Somalia The African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) is in need of 9,000 more army soldiers […]
- African Union (AU) Call for Additional Deployment of 4,000 Troops in Somalia The Military Operations Coordination Committee (MOCC) for AU peacekeeping mission in […]