Saudi Arabia has moved a significant number of troops alongside considerable military hardware to its border with Yemen. Intelligence sources report that the Saudi government has moved entire mechanized infantry divisions to its Southern regions, and in particular areas abutting the Saudi-Yemen border. This comes after the town of Taiz fell into the hands of Houthi fighters on Sunday.
The Saudis are increasingly alarmed at the gains made by the Shiite Houthis in Yemen, including their capture of Sanaa, the capital city of the Red Sea Arab nation. Saudi reservations are further compounded by the fear that Iran – its regional rival – intends to establish bases in Yemen from which to subvert the Saudi Kingdom by fomenting insurgency in the Shiite-dominated provinces of Saudi Arabia.
Intelligence assessments indicate that the Saudi government intends to directly intervene in the ongoing Yemen civil war on the side of the Sunni-affiliated camp led by former president, Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi. The Sunni fighters are currently based in Southern Yemen where they have teamed up with leagues of al Qaeda legions to launch a sectarian insurgency. Both the US and Saudi Arabia back the Sunni militants as Iran contemplates relocating some of its Hezbollah forces to the Yemeni battlefront.
- Iran Flexing Geopolitical Muscles, Intends To Stymie Saudi Regional Ambitions Iran has increased its economic stranglehold on Yemen while simultaneously obviating […]
- Saudi Airstrikes Force Yemenis to Seek Refuge in Somalia A series of brutal Saudi airstrikes has led to widespread destruction and loss of lives […]
- Sunni Coalition Launch Operation Firmness Storm against Shiites Militants in Yemen Saudi Arabia - the hegemon in the Gulf region, has committed over 150,000 ground troops […]
- War in Yemen Could Lead to Total Collapse of Yemen and an Uprise of More Militant Groups The ongoing civil war in Yemen could possibly take a turn of events leading into a […]
- Saudi-Iran Cold War Likely to Turn Hot over Yemen The saber-rattling between Saudi Arabia and Iran over the trajectory of Yemen has […]
- Arab Responds to Yemen’s Call for Military Intervention in Battle against the Houthis Houthi’s growing influence in Yemen will now face bombardment following Arab’s […]
- U.S. Sends More Warships to Intercept Suspected Iranian Arms Shipment to Houthi Rebels; War in Yemen The United Stated has dispatched more warships to the Yemen waters to block suspected […]
- U.S. President Barrack Obama Warns Iran against Supporting Yemen Houthis Yemen airstrikes led by Saudi Arabia come to an end as President Obama sternly warns […]