Russia has called for loosening of arms embargo on Somalia saying the country need to be given an opportunity to acquire needed military equipment more when AMISOM is expected to exit Somalia in 2018.
Russia’s representative Petr V. Iliichev told the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) sanctions committee that the sanctions on Somalia need to be reviewed due to changing situations.
United Security Council imposed an arms embargo on Somalia in 1992 in response to the then deteriorating conflict and humanitarian situation.
UNSC has however revised the embargo allowing Somali military to access limited weapons in subsequent years. The February 2007 Resolution 1744 allowed the supply of weapons and military equipment intended solely for the purpose of helping develop Somali security sector institutions.
Russia maintains arms embargo on Somalia must be reviewed. Russia abstained from last year’s vote which extended the embargo to November 15, 017.
Italy said further progress in managing arms and ammunition should be taken into account in considering future sanctions. Other countries however maintained the embargo had helped bar armed groups including Al-Shabaab, ISIS from easily accessing the weapons.
- Somali Asks UN Security Council for Complete Lift Arms Embargo OSINT SUMMARY Somalia’s President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud has asked […]
- Russia To Consider Selling Arms To Somalia and Libya Once Situation Improves MILITARY ACQUISITIONS, May 12, 2016 Russia announced it is ready to supply […]
- Russia Says Ready To Sell Weapons to Somalia After Sanctions Imposed are Lifted RUSSIA-SOMALIA MILITARY COOPERATION, April 21, 2016 Moscow said it ready to […]
- United Nations Security Council (UNSC) Extends Arms Embargo on Eritrea The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) this week has extended the arms embargo on […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- UN Security Council Condemn Al-Shabaab Raid on Hotel in Mogadishu EVENT SUMMARY Somalia suffered a deadly attack on 1st June 2016 perpetrated […]
- To Defeat Al-Shabaab Terrorists, Arms Embargo Must be Lifted on Somalia Somalia President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed speaking on Thursday at Somalia […]
- AU Mission Hopeful of Progress in Somalia after Farmajo Win AU envoy in Somalia said that there is hope for Somalia after successful election […]