A Burundian retired army colonel was shot dead and his son wounded in the latest sparks of attacks, violence witnessed in capital, Bujumbura.
Police source indicate that the former army officer identified as Lucien Rufyiri, while in his car waiting for his gate to be opened in the Ngagara neighbourhood.
Rufyiri becomes a victim of escalating violence between president Pierre Nkurunziza’s security forces and opponents who say his re-election for a third term in July was illegal.
In the meantime, the United Nations has completed deployment of an independent human rights monitor in Burundi to investigate allegations of human rights abuses.
Violence in Burundi has been a regional concern , with a new round of peace talks launched in the Tanzanian city of Arusha at the weekend led by the former President of Tanzania, Benjamin Mkapa.
Burundi violence has left more than 450 people killed and thousands internally displaced since April 2015 after Nkurunziza announced he was vying for a third term.
- Burundi-Rwanda Diplomatic Row, Worsening BUJUMBURA Burundi, March 13, 2016 Diplomatic relations between Burundi and […]
- Burundi’s President Pierre Nkurunziza Condemns Army General’s Killing As Violence Escalates BUJUMBURA Burundi, April 26, 2016 Burundi’s President Pierre Nkurunziza […]
- Burundi Lauds Selection Of Former Tanzania’s President Benjamin Mkapa In Mediation Talks OSINT Summary: Burundian opposition has welcomed the selection of former Tanzanian […]
- Rwandan Government Refute Claims on Supporting Rebels to Oust Burundi’s Nkurunziza OSINT REPORT Rwandan government has denies claims that it has been supporting […]
- 9 Burundi Coup Plotters Escape Life Sentence, Receive 30-Year Jail Terms EVENT SUMMARY Burundi Supreme Court on Monday 9th May 2016 slapped life […]
- Two Burundian Battalions Conclude Successful One-year of Duty in Somalia MOGADISHU, July 20, 2016 Burundian troops from the 32nd and 33rd battalions […]
- Burundi Agrees Deployment of AU Troops To Restore Peace EVENT SUMMARY Burundi agreed AU to deploy to troops and observers as part of […]
- South Africa’s Jacob Zuma Leads AU Presidents Delegation To Burundi; Accelerate Political Dialogue Event Summary: February 26, 2016: An African Union delegation sent by the new AU […]