Relieve for South Sudan as UN Security Council Rejects U.S-Arms Embargo Request
UN Security Council (UNSC) rejected a U.S-drafted resolution on imposing an arms embargo on the world’s youngest nation, South Sudan.
U.S had been pressuring on UNSC to put sanctions on South Sudan in an effort to end the three-year war.
The measure presented by U.S only managed to garner seven votes in its favour in the 15-member council while eight countries including China, Japan and Russia abstained.
Nine votes and no veto are required for resolutions to be adopted in the council.
U.S, backed by Britain and France, had argued that cutting off the arms flow was urgently needed following UN warnings of a risk of mass atrocities.
U.S also had sought to have rebel leader Dr Reik Machar, army chief Paul Malong and Information Minister Michael Makuei put on a sanctions blacklist, subjecting them to an assets freeze and a global travel ban.
South Sudan plunged into civil war in December of 2013. The conflict has left tens of thousands killed and more than 3.1 million people displaced.
- U.S. Calls UN Arms Embargo against South Sudan, Russia Opposes the Move U.S. on Thursday 17th November 2016 launched a bid at UN Security Council to impose […]
- U.S. Accuse South Sudan Govt of Aiding Armed Opposition in Khartoum U.S. has accused South Sudan’s government of continuous harbouring and aiding […]
- Japan Approves for Troops for Rescue Missions in South Sudan Japan on Tuesday approved a plan to send its troops to South Sudan on a U.N. […]
- South Sudan Rejects UN Deployment of Regional Troops in Juba JUBA, August 11, 2016 The situation in South Sudan remains shaky after the […]
- Fresh Clashes in South Sudan Risks Return to Civil War Fresh clashes in South Sudan risk the country into plunging back to civil war. The […]
- Japanese Military Team Arrive in South Sudan Japanese military team of 130-strong soldiers arrived in South Sudan on Monday 21st […]
- U.S. Warns South Sudan Leaders of Sanctions if Fails to Cooperate Juba South Sudan, April 28, 2016 U.S. has warned South Sudan leaders of dire […]
- South Sudan President Salva Kiir Calls for National Dialogue to End 3-year Civil War South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir called for a national dialogue in an effort […]