April 1, 2016: Authorities in Somalia’s semiautonomous state of Puntland have introduced new security measures aimed at averting further al Shabaab attacks following a deadly suicide attack in Galkayo on Thursday, March 31st.
Security minister of Puntland, Abdi Hersi Qarjab said that the security forces were on high alert urging vigilance among the public. He further urged the public to report any cases of neighbors or people to the police to ensure they are not militants camouflaged as new residents.
Hersi said patrols have been stepped up and security was beefed across the major towns of Puntland, to avert possible Al Shabaab attacks in revenge for recent offensive in the coast.
The new security measures were prompted by a suicide bomber attack on March 31st that killed 6 people among them a finance officer and former Galmudug information minister.
Puntland is on high alert following last week’s onslaught against the al Shabaab that left at least a hundred al Shabaab dead and over 200 arrested by the state authorities. Al Shabaab have sworn to revenge the deaths of their compatriots as they seek to claim new territory in the north as they have been significantly pushed out of their bases and strongholds in south and central Somalia.
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Al-Shabaab Terrorist Arrested On-Board a United Nation’s (UN) Vehicle 1st December 2015, Kenya's Anti-Terror Police Unit arrested a most wanted terrorist and […]
- Somalia Police Scale Up Security Measures in Jowhar Event Summary Somalia government police and soldiers launched an operation in […]
- UN Security Council Condemn Al-Shabaab Raid on Hotel in Mogadishu EVENT SUMMARY Somalia suffered a deadly attack on 1st June 2016 perpetrated […]
- 5 Terror Suspects Imprisoned after a Bomb Attack in Hamar-weyne, Somalia Somali police apprehended and imprisoned five terror suspects linked with a hand bomb […]
- Kenya, Ethiopia To Increase Airstrikes Against Al Shabaab: To Reduce Operational Cost Of Ground Boots Key Points: AMISOM troops in Somalia will need to concentrate the attack module to […]
- High Threat of Multiple Terror Attacks in Kenya and AMISOM Contributing Countries There is an Increasing Threat of Terrorism in Kenya and AMISOM […]
- Death Toll Hits 25 in Recent Car Bomb in Mogadishu Market, 10 Al-Shabab Suspects Arrested Death toll has risen to 25 in the recent car bomb that hit a market in Somali’s […]