Puntland State Imposes Stringent Security Measures To Ward Off Al Shabaab Fleeing South Somalia

ExplosionApril 1, 2016: Authorities in Somalia’s semiautonomous state of Puntland have introduced new security measures aimed at averting further al Shabaab attacks following a deadly suicide attack in Galkayo on Thursday, March 31st.

Security minister of Puntland, Abdi Hersi Qarjab said that the security forces were on high alert urging vigilance among the public. He further urged the public to report any cases of neighbors or people to the police to ensure they are not militants camouflaged as new residents.

Hersi said patrols have been stepped up and security was beefed across the major towns of Puntland, to avert possible Al Shabaab attacks in revenge for recent offensive in the coast.

The new security measures were prompted by a suicide bomber attack on March 31st that killed 6 people among them a finance officer and former Galmudug information minister.

Puntland is on high alert following last week’s onslaught against the al Shabaab that left at least a hundred al Shabaab dead and over 200 arrested by the state authorities. Al Shabaab have sworn to revenge the deaths of their compatriots as they seek to claim new territory in the north as they have been significantly pushed out of their bases and strongholds in south and central Somalia.

 

Read Also:  Work With Security Agencies To Defeat Al Shabaab, President Hassan Urge Diinsoor Residents
Written By
More from Goldberg

Japan Pledges $37 Million To Boost Security In Somalia; AU Summit Gains

Highlights: The Federal Government of Somalia is set to receive $37 Million...
Read More
Comments