Event: On Saturday 16 May 2015, Egypt President Mohamed Morsi, once Muslim Brotherhood leader was sentenced by an Egyptian court to death, along with 105 others in connection to the Wadi el-Natrun prison break of 2011.
About Wadi el-Natrun prison break of 2011
On 30 January 2011, a prison in Egypt that was used to incarcerate Islamists under the regime of Hosni Mubarak after the Egyptian Revolution of 2011 was broken in the country’s most massive prison break.
The Wadi el-Natrun prison break led to thousands of prisoners escaping from the prison.
The Wadi el-Natrun prison is an Egyptian prison complex north of Cairo.
The Egyptian Revolution of 2011 that demanded the overthrow of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak took place on 25 January 2011 and included Islamic, liberal, anti-capitalist, nationalist and feminist elements.
The revolution resulted in death of at least 846 people.
Hamas is a designated terrorist organization by the European Union founded in 1988 as an offshoot of the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, to establish an Islamic state in the area that is now Israel.
Hezbollah, also known as “Party of Allah” is an Islamist militant group and political party based in Lebanon.
Mohamed Morsi, who became the first democratically elected president of Egypt after the massive prison break was among the prisoners who escaped from Wadi el-Natrun prison.
Assessment of the sentence
With President Morsi’s death sentence pending, intelligence sources have assessed the move by the Egyptian court, which says will pronounce its final decision on 2 June.
First, there is a likelihood the sentence will further polarize Egypt along the government supporters and adherents of the Muslim Brotherhood, which thrives in Egypt and to which Mohamed Morsi was once one of the leaders.
In fact, pending the court’s final decision, Islamists have warned of a backlash on the death sentence of Morsi.
The sentence is also likely to weaken ties between Cairo and the Washington. The latter condemned the decision by the Egyptian court saying that it has consistently spoken out against the practice of mass trials and sentences.
- Muslim brotherhood Members Sentenced To Life For Torching Egyptian Coptic Church A court in Egypt on Wednesday jailed for life 69 Islamists belonging to the Muslim […]
- Islamists Kill over 27 Egyptian Security Personnel in Sinai Islamists pledging allegiance to ISIL yesterday killed over 27 Egyptian soldiers and […]
- Pro-Morsi Politician Abul-Ela Mady Released after Pre-trial Detention in Egypt On Wednesday 12th August, Egypt opposition politician Abul-Ela Mady was released […]
- Egypt Sentences Officers on Allegations of Attempted Coup Event Summary An Egyptian military court on Sunday 16th August 2015 sentenced 26 […]
- Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood Supreme Leader, Mohamed Badie Sentenced To Life in Prison OSINT SUMMARY An Egyptian court sentenced Muslim Brotherhood’s Supreme […]
- 20 Year-Jail Sentence For Former Egypt President Mohammed Morsi Former Egyptian president, Mohammed Morsi has been slapped with a 20 year prison term […]
- Egyptian Army Kill 13 Militants in Troubled Sinai OSINT SUMMARY, May 24, 2016 Egyptian forces killed 13 militants during raids […]
- Egyptian Security Forces Kill Mohammed Kamal, a Muslim Brotherhood Leader in Overnight Shootout Egyptian security forces on Tuesday night killed a senior leader of the Muslim […]