Uganda’s President Yoweri Musveni who had attended the 28th Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) hosted by Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamoud took time off and visited Ugandan UPDF troops at the Halane military camp in the capital Mogadishu.
Military reports say that the Ugandan president spent the night at UPDF military base, the largest African Union military base located at the capital Mogadishu, where he met UPDF commanders amid tonight security.
The president commended UPDF describing their gallant commitment in Somalia as the true spirit of Pan Africanism which he said is one of the core values that makes UPDF standout in the continent.
“I thank you for helping our brothers and sisters in pacification of Somalia, and being a good example of unity,” the President said.
The visit to the military base by the president was a morale booster to the soldiers who there has been hint of withdrawing troops.
Uganda deployed the UPDF in 2007 and currently maintains the largest peacekeeping force of 6,000 in Somalia.
Other AMISOM force contributing countries include Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya and Djibouti. The mission aimed at eliminating Al-Shabaab in Somalia is funded by the EU, the U.S. and United Nations.
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- 4,000 Extra AMISOM Troops Needed to Liberate More Areas in Somalia According to a report compiled by CCTV news, African Union Mission in Somalia […]
- Uganda Considers Withdrawing UPDF Troops From Somalia UGANDA'S UPDF EXIT IN SOMALIA In rather unprecedented move, Uganda is […]
- African Union (AU) Call for Additional Deployment of 4,000 Troops in Somalia The Military Operations Coordination Committee (MOCC) for AU peacekeeping mission in […]
- Senior Regional Military Leaders Conclude ‘Peacekeeping’ Course In Kenya Highlights: The 13th Regional Senior Military Leaders’ Course (RSML) concluded at […]
- Review AMISOM Funding, Uganda now Wants 6th February 2017, Kampala: Uganda has called on the concerned partners to review the […]
- Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta, Commander in Chief Of Defence Forces Attend AMISOM’s Summit in Djibouti AMISOM SUMMIT DJIBOUTI February 28, 2016, Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenya who is the […]
- Somalia Signs New International Agreement to Beef Up Security Somalia in the recently concluded London Conference signed a security agreement with its […]