Egypt government may have freed Al-Jazeera journalist Peter Greste and subsequently deported him.
Peter Greste May Have Left Egyptian Jail and Subsequently Deported
There is no word about the other journalists he was in jail along with.
Jailed al-Jazeera journalist Peter Greste is being deported from Egypt, the state news agency and police say.
The Australian ex-BBC correspondent was arrested in December 2013 and imprisoned last June on charges including spreading false news.
There is no word on the two al-Jazeera men who were jailed with him, Mohamed Fahmy and Baher Mohamed.
All of the defendants denied the charges against them and have said their trial was a sham.
They were accused of collaborating with the banned Muslim Brotherhood after the overthrow of President Mohammed Morsi by the military in 2013.
The three men said they were simply reporting the news.
Egypt’s top court had in January ordered a retrial of the three men.
But an Egyptian official told Agence France-Presse news agency on Sunday: “There is a presidential decision to deport Peter Greste to Australia.”
Al-Jazeera has demanded the release of its journalists ever since they were arrested.
Mr Fahmy holds Egyptian and Canadian citizenship and is the Egyptian-Canadian bureau chief.
Mr Mohamed, a producer, is an Egyptian national.
Mr Greste and Mr Fahmy were sentenced to seven years, while Mr Mohamed is serving 10.
- Egypt Sentences Mohamed Badie, Muslim Brotherhood Leader, 13 Others to Death Mohamed Badie, leader of the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood has been sentenced to death by […]
- Egypt Sentences Officers on Allegations of Attempted Coup Event Summary An Egyptian military court on Sunday 16th August 2015 sentenced 26 […]
- Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood Supreme Leader, Mohamed Badie Sentenced To Life in Prison OSINT SUMMARY An Egyptian court sentenced Muslim Brotherhood’s Supreme […]
- Egypt Gives Journalists Alleged to Support Terrorists Jail Term Highlight An Egyptian court on Saturday 29th August 2015 sentenced three […]
- 95 Muslim Brotherhood Members Life Sentence by Egyptian Court Event Summary Egyptian court has sentenced 95 Muslim Brotherhood members to life […]
- Egyptian Security Forces Kill Mohammed Kamal, a Muslim Brotherhood Leader in Overnight Shootout Egyptian security forces on Tuesday night killed a senior leader of the Muslim […]
- Prison Break Earns Egypt’s Mohamed Morsi Death Sentence Event: On Saturday 16 May 2015, Egypt President Mohamed Morsi, once Muslim Brotherhood […]
- 111 Muslim Brotherhood Islamists in Egypt Receive Sentence of 25 Years in Jail A military court in Upper Egypt on Tuesday 28/3/2017 sentenced 111 Islamist loyalist […]