March 16, 2016: Britain’s Tullow Oil has announced additional oil well discovery in Kenya. The new discovery is purported to result to the opening of a second oil basin for development in Kenya’s south.
The oil discovery was made in Kerio Valley Basin dubbed Cheptuket-1 which as good oil shows in a gross interval of 700 meters in the initial stages. These could potentially open up a second prolific basin in Kenya after the Turkana oil discovery.
Despite low international oil prices and oil firms reducing their spending on exploration and development, Tullow Oil has expressed enthusiasm but also terming the follow up action towards exploration to be set as diffident.
Tullow Oil has found partners in Africa Oil and A.P. Moller-Maersk to develop the South Lokichar Basin in northwestern region of Kenya whose reserves have been estimated to 600 million barrels of oil.
The additional discovery of oil reserves in Kenya together with enormous discoveries in the Lockichar basin, in the northwest of Kenya have put Kenya on the world map as an emerging onshore oil producer.
Tullow Oil discoveries have attracted a great deal in tune of millions of dollars in interests with projected sharp rises with the new discovery.
- Kenya Set To Begin Exporting 2,000 Barrels of Oil Daily From July 2017 ENERGY BRIEF Kenya has announced plans to start exporting 2,000 barrels of […]
- Kenya’s New Oil Pipeline Projected for Completion by End of April Kenya’s new oil pipeline has been projected to be complete by end of April this […]
- Kenya’s Oil Pipeline Construction To Commence in 2 Weeks, Energy CS Keter ENERGY BRIEF, April 29, 2016 Kenya’s oil pipeline works is expected to […]
- British Company Tullow Discovers More Oil at Erut 1 Well Kenya dream of commercial exportation of oil is almost being realized after the […]
- Kenya Deal with Ethiopia to Build Oil Pipeline ENERGY BRIEF Kenya and Ethiopia are set to finalize a deal that will see the […]
- Kenya, China To Partner On Oil and Gas Exploration OIL AND GAS EXPLORATION Kenya and China keen on exploring oil and gas, […]
- Kenya to Earn $$10 Billion from Oil in South Lokichar Basin’s Block 10BB/13T Kenya’s will earn at least US$ 10 billion from the country’s first commercial oil […]
- Kenya Oil Industry Shows Positive Prospects as Ngamia-8 Wells Extract 200 Metres of Oil Kenya Oil flow per day has indicated improving prospects following the discovery of a […]