Nigerian Army Aviation Corps Seeks Helicopters For Counter-terrorism Air Support
Nigerian army is considering to acquire helicopters to boost their counter terrorism effort from the air.
The new Nigerian Army Aviation Corps seeks to procure a new South African made Rooivalk, Russian-made Mi-17, French-made H125 and some Chinese-made helicopters to equip a newly established Army Aviation Corps.
The established of the Nigerian Army (NA) Aviation Corps was revealed by Nigerian Army Chief of Staff Lieutenant-General Tukur Buratai on Wednesday 6th April 2016 when he addressed the 2016 First Quarter Chief of Army Staff Conference in Abuja.
According to Buratai, Nigerian Army (NA) Aviation Corps the new stand-alone counter-terrorism air unit will be tasked specifically with providing aerial support to ground forces battling the Boko Haram insurgents in the north and north-east of the country and guaranteeing long-term national security.
Lt. General Buratai also hinted acquiring of platforms from Russian, American and Chinese origin, including certain simulators and UAVs.
The Russian made Mi-17 due to its ruggedness, operability and multi-role capability has been given emphasis.
As a result, different contractors submitted their proposals for supply, tendering process is currently on.
Ten pilots who will form the core of the new aviation corps are currently undergoing flight training at the International Helicopter Flying School in Enugu expected to graduate in May 2016.
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Algeria Orders 12 Sukhoi (Su-34) Fullback Capability Fighter Bombers From Russia MILITARY ACQUISITIONS Algeria has ordered 12 Su-34 warplanes from Russia in the […]
- Nigerian Air Force Strikes Leaves 15 Boko Haram Terrorists Dead in Borno State OSINT SUMMARY June 20, 2016, latest military reports from Nigeria indicate […]
- China Donates Military Equipment to Liberia Armed Forces OSINT SUMMARY MONROVIA, February 10, 2016, On Wednesday Liberian President Ellen […]
- US to Supply Pakistan With F-16 Warplanes & Resolve to Counter ISIL Militancy KEY HIGHLIGHTS US plan to sell eight F-16fighter jets to Pakistan and its close ally […]
- Nigeria To Produce Armoured Personnel Carriers Locally By Year-end MILITARY ACQUISITIONS The Defence Industries Corporation of Nigeria (DICON) […]
- High-tech Fighter Jets Flying Over Syrian Airspace OSINT SUMMARY The fight against Daesh and other terrorist’s organization in Syria has […]
- Russia Sign Deal to Supply Iran with S-300 Missile System OSINT SUMMARY Russia and Iran have entered into a contract whereby Moscow is to […]