In efforts to boost the morale of Ugandan soldiers serving under Amisom, President Yoweri Museveni spent Tuesday night at the UPDF Halane base in Mogadishu under tight security.
Museveni, who was in Mogadishu to attend an extra ordinary summit of Intergovernmental Agency on Development (IGAD), spent the night meeting UPDF commanders at the base that has on several occasions come under attack by the Somali insurgents Al Shabaab.
The IGAD summit was also attended by the Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta and Ethiopian Prime Minister, Hailemariam Desalegn, who went back home after the meeting.
In a statement issued by the UPDF Amisom contingent spokesperson Captain Flavia Telimulungi, the President “thanked the troops for the Pan Africanism spirit which is one of the core values that make UPDF an exemplary force on the African continent.”
Mr Museveni added: “I thank you for helping our brothers and sisters in pacification of Somalia, and being a good example of unity.”
According to the statement, the President told the troops that Africans should resist divisionism based on clans, religion and gender disparities which he said are the ‘major problems’ of Africa.
Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia are among the countries with troops in Somalia.
- IGAD Summit Concludes in Mogadishu, Member Countries Reaffirms Support to Somalia The 28th extra-ordinary session of the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development […]
- Museveni Presides over Tarehe Sita UPDF Celebrations Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) celebrated the 34th Terehe Sita day on […]
- Gen Katumba Wamala Hands over to Gen Muhoozi, the New UPDF Chief Gen. Katumba Wamala has handed over office to the new Chief of Defence Forces, Gen […]
- Congolese Forces Kill 6 ADF Rebels in Eastern DRC OSINT SUMMARY Six Ugandan rebels of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) and a […]
- Security in Mogadishu Somalia Scaled Up Ahead of Regional Summit OSINT SUMMARY Security in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu and its environs […]
- Security Heightened in Mogadishu as Somalia Set to Host IGAD Summit OSINT SUMMARY Security has been heightened up in Mogadishu as Somalia is set […]
- Al-Shabaab Terrorist Arrested On-Board a United Nation’s (UN) Vehicle 1st December 2015, Kenya's Anti-Terror Police Unit arrested a most wanted terrorist and […]
- Museveni and Kabila Meets over ADF Bandits, Resolve to Share Intelligence to Crumble the Rebel Group KINSHASHA: Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni on Thursday 4th August 2016 met […]