In efforts to boost the morale of Ugandan soldiers serving under Amisom, President Yoweri Museveni spent Tuesday night at the UPDF Halane base in Mogadishu under tight security.
Museveni, who was in Mogadishu to attend an extra ordinary summit of Intergovernmental Agency on Development (IGAD), spent the night meeting UPDF commanders at the base that has on several occasions come under attack by the Somali insurgents Al Shabaab.
The IGAD summit was also attended by the Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta and Ethiopian Prime Minister, Hailemariam Desalegn, who went back home after the meeting.
In a statement issued by the UPDF Amisom contingent spokesperson Captain Flavia Telimulungi, the President “thanked the troops for the Pan Africanism spirit which is one of the core values that make UPDF an exemplary force on the African continent.”
Mr Museveni added: “I thank you for helping our brothers and sisters in pacification of Somalia, and being a good example of unity.”
According to the statement, the President told the troops that Africans should resist divisionism based on clans, religion and gender disparities which he said are the ‘major problems’ of Africa.
Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia are among the countries with troops in Somalia.
- IGAD Summit Concludes in Mogadishu, Member Countries Reaffirms Support to Somalia The 28th extra-ordinary session of the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development […]
- Maj. Gen Peter Elwelu Elwelu Visits UPDF Troops in Somalia The UPDF Land forces commander Maj. Gen Peter Elwelu made his first visit to UPDF […]
- Gen Katumba Wamala Hands over to Gen Muhoozi, the New UPDF Chief Gen. Katumba Wamala has handed over office to the new Chief of Defence Forces, Gen […]
- Museveni Presides over Tarehe Sita UPDF Celebrations Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) celebrated the 34th Terehe Sita day on […]
- Congolese Forces Kill 6 ADF Rebels in Eastern DRC OSINT SUMMARY Six Ugandan rebels of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) and a […]
- Security Heightened in Mogadishu as Somalia Set to Host IGAD Summit OSINT SUMMARY Security has been heightened up in Mogadishu as Somalia is set […]
- Security in Mogadishu Somalia Scaled Up Ahead of Regional Summit OSINT SUMMARY Security in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu and its environs […]
- Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni Promotes 400 UPDF Officers Uganda’s President, Yoweri Museveni promoted about 400 UPDF army officers to […]