MOGADISHU REPORT, Thursday 2nd June 2016
Wednesday siege by extremist at a hotel in Somali’s capital Mogadishu has left a soldier, civilians and two lawmakers killed and several others wounded.
Military intelligence BDA indicate 37 people killed in Ambassador Hotel near K-9 junction in Mogadishu and 60 others wounded in an assault that started with suicide bomber in a vehicle laden with explosives (SVBIED) outside Ambassador Hotel on Wednesday evening.
The suicide vehicle-borne improvise devise detonated generating a huge fire, heat and explosion sound with Shebab militants followed with gun fire inside the hotel.
A Special Forces soldier was killed in action (KIA) and two members of parliament, Abdullah Jama and Dr. Mohamed Gure among the 37 who perished from the attack.
Corresponding Mogadishu media outlets reports indicate that at least 50 people have been rescued in a siege that took over 12 hours to end.
Mogadishu Ambassador Hotel attack is the first incident whereby Somali army forces (SNA) have been outmaneuvered by the Al Qaeda affiliated Harakat al Shabaab al Mujahideen (HSM) fighters.
Al-Shabaab has since claimed responsibility for the attack.
SNA defeat by Al-Shabaab signals increased capability by militant group in conducting terror attacks in urban soft targets.
- Somalia Police Scale Up Security Measures in Jowhar Event Summary Somalia government police and soldiers launched an operation in […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- 10 Killed in Terrorist Attack on Hotel in Mogadishu, Somalia OSINT SUMMARY Death toll in a jihadist attack has risen to 10 with around 40 […]
- Mogadishu Hotel Siege Ends: Death Toll Reported at 17, Militants Holed in Hotel All Killed EVENT SUMMARY Saturday 25th June 2016, a popular hotel in Somali’s […]
- Siege Ends, Update on SBVIED Bomb Attack at Dayah Hotel in Mogadishu Somalia SNA and AMISOM troops have ended a siege perpetrated by Al-Shabaab terrorists. The […]
- SNA Claim Victory Over Al-Shabaab During a Clash Outside Mogadishu OSINT SUMMARY Al-Shabaab raided an overnight ambush at an SNA checkpoint at […]
- Puntland Release List of Most Wanted Al-Shabaab Terrorists behind Galkayo Bombing OSINT SUMMARY According to latest OSINT reports on Somalia media outlets, […]
- De-radicalize Somali Youths, Ambassador Madeira Francisco, AU Special Representative for Somalia Asserts Mogadishu, April 28, 2016 AU Special Representative for Somalia Ambassador […]