The infamous guerilla and rebel chief, Joseph Kony is reportedly involved in large-scale ivory smuggling to finance his mission of buying arms.
According to commander of a regional task force organized to eliminate Kony’s Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), the outlawed rebel group now operates in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the Central African Republic and in pockets of South Sudan.
LRA is considered one of the most elusive and violent guerrilla groups on the continent.
Kony’s group has killed most of the elephants in the Central African Republic (CAR) so far to enable the rebel group buy arms.
The commander of the Regional Task Force (RTF) was speaking at the sidelines of a meeting between the African Union and chiefs of staff from Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo, the Central African Republic and South Sudan (currently the countries affected by the LRA insurgency).
The meeting was held in order to state stock of anti-LRA successes so far and tackle challenges of resources and coordination between the RTF and its partners.
The LRA was set up in 1987 by Kony with the primary goal of overthrowing the government of Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni.
According to Lt. Col. Olivier, Kony’s group are now poaching elephants in DRC Ngarambe Park before moving north side of CAR in a region called Kaphia Kingi where the trading is being conducted.
- Dozens Kidnapped By Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) in Central African Republic KEY HIGHLIGHTS Rebels linked to Lord’s resistance army raided a village, killed […]
- U.S. Military Ends Operation against Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) in Central Africa US military wrapped up an operation against the Lord’s Resistance Army […]
- UPDF Withdraws Troops from Central African Republic UPDF has started withdrawing its troops which have been serving in Central African […]
- Museveni and Kabila Meets over ADF Bandits, Resolve to Share Intelligence to Crumble the Rebel Group KINSHASHA: Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni on Thursday 4th August 2016 met […]
- South Sudan: Lord’s Resistance Army Still Carries out Attacks Highlight The south Sudan government has said that the Lord’s Resistance Army […]
- Bringing Uganda’s Regional Security Strategy Into Focus; The Geopolitics of Military Capability Highlights: Uganda a landlocked country with a population of 37.5 million people […]
- Christian militia, French forces fight in C Africa Republic BANGUI , Central African Republic SI Situation Report French troops came under fire […]
- Joseph Kony, LRA Slapped With Asset Freeze By The US Treasury Department Highlights: The United States government on March 9, 2016 announced […]