Libyan government forces overran the headquarters of rival militia faction on Wednesday 15/3/2017 as artillery exchanges rocked the capital for a third day.
According to a security source, Forces loyal to Libya’s U.N backed unity government launched an overnight assault on the militia's headquarters in the Guest Palace, a complex of luxury villas in the city center, and overran it after heavy fighting.
Overwhelmed, the militias retreat with GNA forces taking control of the area according to a report referenced by AFP.
Libya has experienced years of violence and lawlessness since the NATO-backed ouster of longtime dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, with rival parliaments and governments trading accusations and militias fighting over territory and the country's vast oil wealth.
Militias loyal to former Prime Minister Khalifa Ghweil, whose administration was replaced by the UN-backed Government of National Accord last year, have stepped up a campaign of defiance against its authority.
- Army Advances Push ISIS Fighters in Libyan Cities of Benghazi and Ajdabiya OSINT SUMMARY BENGHAZI, Libya: 22nd February 2016, credible OSINT summaries reveal […]
- Islamic State Senior Commander Arrested in Northwestern Libya OSINT SUMMARY Friday 26th February 2016, a senior Islamic State commander […]
- Maghreb Countries Push For National Unity Government Formation In Libya Event Summary: On 6th September, Niger, Algeria and Chad through a joint statement […]
- Libyan Government Forces Claim to Retake Key Eastern Oilfields Terminals OSINT SUMMARY Forces allied to the Libya unity government on Sunday launched […]
- Pentagon: U.S. Troops Helping Libya in Fight for Daesh Bastion (Sirte) Libyan forces continue to make gains against the Islamist Daesh terrorist in their […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- U.S. Back Libya’s Unity Government Against Arms Embargo OSINT SUMMARY, May 17, 2016 Libya’s unity government has received […]
- Airstrikes Hit West Libyan Zintan’s Airport, Probable Attack by Tripoli-Allied Forces A warplane carried out air strikes on an airport in a town in western Libya causing a […]