June 15, 2016, It is official the Kenya and Somalia will be heading to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) to iron out the maritime dispute of the Indian Ocean.
The legal battle is set to begin in September with Somalia calling for the ocean boundaries to be redrawn.
The disputed area is considered to be rich in oil deposits and fish stocks.
In a press release, the court said preliminary objections raised by Kenya will be presented during the four-day hearing set for September 19-23 at the Peace Palace in The Hague.
Somalia declined Kenya’s plea for out of court settlement. Kenya’s AG has warned the direction the case has taken could jeopardize Kenya-Somalia relations.
Kenya has contributed it troops in Somalia (under AMISOM) to help the country in fighting Al-Shabaab that has been destabilizing peace and stability of Somalia for many years.
- UN International Court of Justice To Hear Kenya-Somalia Maritime Border Dispute EVENTSUMMARY Somalia took Kenya to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) […]
- Kenya, India Deal Set To Improve Maritime Security Kenya and India signed multimillion dollar trade agreements during the Indian Prime […]
- Kenya and Seychelles Sign Trade, Security Deals Kenya and Seychelles entered into agreement to increase trade between the two […]
- South Sudan Conflict, Combating Terrorism Tops President Uhuru Kenyatta & U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry Discussion Monday 22nd August 2016, President Kenyatta and US Secretary of State John Kerry have […]
- Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud Urge African Leaders to Jointly Combat Terrorism in the Continent Somali’s president who had attended the recently Tokyo International Conference […]
- Kenya Set to Begin Oil Exportation by January 2017 Kenya is set to begin oil exportation by January 2017 according to the Finance […]
- Kenya Set to Purchase New Patrol Ship OSINT SUMMARY Kenya is set to purchase a new ship worth Ksh3.5 billion ($34.6 […]
- Kenya & Turkey Support Somalia in Fight against Al-Shabaab Kenya and Turkey share the same vision on fighting terrorism and also on solving the […]