Kenya Deal with Ethiopia to Build Oil Pipeline
Kenya and Ethiopia are set to finalize a deal that will see the two countries build a refined oil pipeline from Kenya’s north coast to the Ethiopian capital.
Kenya and Ethiopia signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) that will see the two countries jointly build the pipeline after Uganda switched to build theirs with Tanzania.
Kenya is seeking to open up a new port on its north coast at Lamu. There are plans to build an economic corridor with transport and other links to Ethiopia, South Sudan and Uganda.
In a joint communiqué, the two leaders (President Uhuru and Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn) stressed about their commitment to seen through the agreements are finalized on the development and operation of a product oil pipeline from Lamu Port to Addis Ababa by the end of 2016.
Ethiopia has a bigger population but has a smaller economy than that of Kenya, the pipeline, new railway and highway expected to open up a huge market for the land-locked country.
Kenya and Ethiopia are cited as Africa’s fastest expanding economies
According to Kenya’s Energy Cabinet Secretary Charles Keter, plans are in place to complete the $2.1 billion crude oil pipeline by 2021.
- Kenya Decides To Go Alone On Oil Pipeline Construction ENERGY BRIEF, April 24, 2016 Kenya will go alone on the construction of […]
- South Sudan Conflict, Combating Terrorism Tops President Uhuru Kenyatta & U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry Discussion Monday 22nd August 2016, President Kenyatta and US Secretary of State John Kerry have […]
- Kenya’s Oil Pipeline Construction To Commence in 2 Weeks, Energy CS Keter ENERGY BRIEF, April 29, 2016 Kenya’s oil pipeline works is expected to […]
- Security, Trade and Innovation Top Agendas of Kenya – Uganda Regional Talks Key Highlights 8th August 2015, Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta arrives in Uganda […]
- Kenya, Ethiopia Discuss War on Harakat al Shabaab al Mujahideen Movement Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta and Ethiopia’s Prime Minister […]
- Djibouti Mega Gas Project Commences ENEGY BRIEF, March 4, 2016 Djibouti has announced a mega gas project. Djibouti’s […]
- Oil Discovered In Kenya’s Kerio Valley; Britain’s Tullow Oil Announces March 16, 2016: Britain’s Tullow Oil has announced additional oil well […]
- Kenya Set To Begin Exporting 2,000 Barrels of Oil Daily From July 2017 ENERGY BRIEF Kenya has announced plans to start exporting 2,000 barrels of […]