The United States government on March 9, 2016 announced additional economic and financial sanctions on Uganda’s outlawed rebel group Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) and its leader Joseph Kony.
The US Treasury Department froze all the LRA assets within the US jurisdiction and prohibits any and all American nationals from conducting any business with the group or its elusive leader.
The United States through its Treasury Department has slapped Uganda’s rebel group Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) and its leader Joseph Kony with stringent additional economic and financial sanctions. Joseph Kony has been on the run and is on the world’s most wanted list.
The sanctions dictate that all assets of the rebel group and its leader within the US’ jurisdiction be frozen and simultaneously prohibits any US national from engaging in any business with the group.
LRA is not only operational in Uganda but also in the larger Central African region making the sanctions a key step towards financially decapitating the movement that is responsible for murdering innocent people and other notorious violent acts.
Efforts to dismantle the LRA that was designated as a terrorist group in 2001 have been successfully forced the militia to hide in the jungle with Kony said to be hauled in Kafia-Kingi enclave between Sudan and Central African Republic border.
The LRA was first designated with sanctions in 2008 by the US after being added into the Terrorist Exclusion List and the additional sanction are aimed at a broader effort to dismantle this militia group and seek a more stable and secure future for the people of the Central African Republic and the region.
- National Intelligence Service (NIS) Tasked to Preempt Corruption’s Threat to National Security of Kenya The President of the Republic of Kenya Uhuru Kenyatta issued a statement on Monday 23rd […]
- Kenya Ranked Top African Country Contributing the Most to the United Nations Which Countries Contribute The Most To The United Nations? Kenya is ranked […]
- U.S. Extends Decision on Sudan Sanctions by 3 Months U.S. has extended its decision on permanently lifting economic sanction […]
- Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) Chief, Joseph Kony Smuggling Ivory To Buy Arms OSINT SUMMARY The infamous guerilla and rebel chief, Joseph Kony is […]
- U.S. Accuse South Sudan Govt of Aiding Armed Opposition in Khartoum U.S. has accused South Sudan’s government of continuous harbouring and aiding […]
- Sudan Rebel Groups Signs African Union (AU) Brokered Peace Deal OSINT SUMMARY On Tuesday 9th August 2016, Sudanese prominent rebel groups […]
- US Tapping Intelligence from Seleka Militia in Central African Republic to Net LRA Leader Joseph Kony Highlight There is mounting concern over the US involvement in fuelling the […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]