Jim Mattis, U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis landed in Djibouti on Sunday 23/4/2017 to visit a key military base at the southern entrance to the Red Sea that is used as a launch pad for operations in Yemen and Somalia.
The visit to Djibouti is part of Mattis’s week-long trip to the Middle East and Africa. His visit comes as pressure mounts on U.S. to take action against Islamist terrorist groups such as Al-Shabaab and ISIS in the region.
U.S. has a key base in Djibouti which has about 4,000 personnel and is locate just a few miles from a Chinese military base that is still under construction.
President Donald Trump recently granted the U.S. military broader authority to strike Al-Qaeda-linked Al-Shabaab terrorists in Somalia and subsequently sent a contingent of soldiers to train SNA forces.
U.S. is also carrying out strikes in Yemen against Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
Mattis’ trip also comes amid a recent surge in piracy off Somalia coast.
- U.S. President Donald Trump Gives CIA Power to Conduct Drone Strikes U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration has given CIA new powers to […]
- 3 Somali-Americans Sentenced for Plotting to Join ISIS in Syria A U.S. judge in Minnesota has sentenced three Somali-American found guilty of […]
- How Donald Trump is Fueling Islamic State Terrorist Group Counter-terrorism experts have warned of U.S President Donald Trump’s […]
- U.S. Intervene Militarily To Train African Forces On Combating Terror OSINT SUMMARY U.S. Commander for Special Operations Command Africa Brigadier […]
- Jordan Drones Strikes ISIS (Daesh) Weaponry Depot, Training Base in Southern Syria 6th February 2017, Amman: Latest Military reports from Jordan indicate that their […]
- U.S. Special Operations in Yemen Yields Data on Al-Qaeda Explosives U.S. special operations forces gathered valuable intelligence on the Al-Qaeda […]
- New U.S. Drone Strike Kills 40 Daesh Takfiris in Eastern Afghanistan OSINT SUMMARY, April 15, 2016 New U.S. drone strike has left more than 40 […]
- Puntland Forces Recapture Qandala, Kill over 40 ISIS Terrorists Army soldiers of Somali’s semi-autonomous Puntland State have […]