Japanese military team of 130-strong soldiers arrived in South Sudan on Monday 21st November 2016 ready to support UN-backed mission in the war-torn country.
Soldiers of Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (GSDF) will counter insecurity and protect civilians in South Sudan.
South Sudan has been blighted by three years of civil conflicts and August 2015 deal between President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar was supposed to quell the conflict.
The peace deal has since collapsed, Riek Machar forces attacked Kiir’s soldiers in Juba renewing clashes in the world’s youngest nation.
South Sudan clashes has seen tens of thousands killed and thousands other flee to neigbouring countries as refugees.
In the past weeks, UN has warned of the conflicts in South Sudan saying if the situation is not contained could to genocide.
"The arrival of new peacekeeping personnel from Japan clearly demonstrates Japanese commitment to supporting UN efforts to improve conditions in some of the world’s most destabilizing conflicts,” UNMISS acting spokeswoman, Shantal Persuad said.
- Japan Approves for Troops for Rescue Missions in South Sudan Japan on Tuesday approved a plan to send its troops to South Sudan on a U.N. […]
- Kenya to Withdraw KDF-UNMISS Peacekeeping Force from South Sudan Kenya has threatened to pull out its troops under UN Mission in South Sudan […]
- UN Adviser Warns of Looming ‘Genocide’ in South Sudan A United Nations (UN) adviser has warned of a looming genocide in South […]
- Former Rebel Leader, Riek Machar Botched Return in Juba JUBA, South Sudan, Apr 19, 2016 The long awaited return of the former rebel […]
- South Sudan Crisis is Escalating: UN Report UN: March 3, 2016, Report by United Nations has said South Sudan crisis is […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Kenya Withdraws Troops from South Sudan, First 100 Soldiers Arrive at JKIA Kenya started withdrawing its peacekeeping troops from the conflict stricken South […]
- Uncertainty Looms as South Sudan Ex-general Forms Rebellion Faction to Oust Govt Uncertainty looms in South Sudan as ex-general reportedly forms a rebellion group […]