Friday 26th February 2016, a senior Islamic State commander alongside his two aides was arrested near the Libyan capital city of Tripoli.
The arrests come amid ongoing conflicts between the extremists and militants loyal to the un-recognized government based in Tripoli.
The local Islamic State commander identified as Mohammed Sa’ad al-Tajuri better known with as nom de guerre, Abu Suleiman, was arrested in the city of Sabratha, located some 70 kilometers (45 miles) west of the capital, on Thursday.
On Thursday, clashes broke out in two areas west of Sabratha between Islamic State Takfiris and forces aligned to the Tripoli government.
The heavy exchange of gunfire ensued a day after the Middle East-based Islamic State terrorists were driven out of Sabratha by militias after briefly capturing the city and killing 18 militants.
Libya has been faces with instability since 2011, when the country’s then leader, Muammar Gaddafi, was overthrown and armed groups as well as regional factions engaged in conflict in an effort to control oil wealth.
Tripoli is now being controlled by a political faction calling itself ‘Libya Dawn’ allied with powerful armed forces based in the city of Misrata while the internationally-recognized government of Prime Minister Abdullah al-Thinni operates in the northeastern city of Bayda, with its elected House of Representatives based in Tobruk.
Islamist militants have taken advantage of political chaos and a lack of central authority to establish a presence in Libya
- Army Advances Push ISIS Fighters in Libyan Cities of Benghazi and Ajdabiya OSINT SUMMARY BENGHAZI, Libya: 22nd February 2016, credible OSINT summaries reveal […]
- Islamic State Build-up in Libya Pose Threat in Crisis Hit Country EVENT SUMMARY 4th February 2016, Libyan intelligence has warned of Islamic State […]
- Libyan Forces Advancing Towards Islamic State Stronghold OSINT SUMMARY Thursday 6, June 2016, recent military reports indicate that […]
- Pentagon: U.S. Troops Helping Libya in Fight for Daesh Bastion (Sirte) Libyan forces continue to make gains against the Islamist Daesh terrorist in their […]
- UK Troops Deployed To Tunisia To Bolster Libyan Border OSINT SUMMARY Britain has deployed a team of 20 soldiers to train Tunisia […]
- U.S.-led Coalition 30 Strikes Targets Islamic State Hideouts in Syria & Iraq EVENT SUMMARY Latest military reports from Middle East indicate that Daesh/Islamic […]
- Two Guinean UN Peacekeepers Killed in Attack in Northern Mali EVENT SUMMARY BAMAKO, 12th February 2016 Two Guinean peacekeepers were killed in […]
- Nigeria, Cameroon Joint Operations Leave 23 Boko Haram Terrorists Killed, 150 Captives Rescued OSINT SUMMARY Wednesday 24th February 2016, 23 Boko Haram terrorists were killed in a […]