In yet another win over the Islamic State militant group, Iraqi forces have managed to recapture the last district of Fallujah that was held by the militants.
According to the prime minister, the operation that started a week ago culminated to victory from the self-styled Islamic State movement as the general commanding the operation declared the battle complete and a successful.
The ISIL militants seized and took over Fallujah in January 2014. The assault is part of a wider offensive against ISIL.
Military intelligence reports indicate that at least 1,800 fighters from the ISIL extremist group have been killed in the five-week campaign aimed at retaking the strategic city.
The operation’s success gives fresh momentum to Iraqi forces seeking to retake Mosul – ISIL’s effective capital in Iraq and the largest city in its self-proclaimed caliphate.
Iraqi forces are now working to dismantle ISIL’s bombs and booby-trapped houses, while pursuing fighters who’ve slipped out of the city.
Weapons and ISIL flags found during the Fallujah raid now paraded upside down by Iraqi soldiers as sign of great victory.
- Islamic State Terrorists Using Human Shields, Slowing Process of Retaking Mosul Military reports from Iraq indicate that the ongoing operation to retake the […]
- Iraqi Security Forces Tighten Siege Around Islamic State Stronghold in Fallujah, 17 Militants Killed OSINT SUMMARY Wednesday 26th May 2016, Iraqi forces extended control on areas […]
- Iraqi Forces Launch Final Assault on ISIS-Held Mosul Old City Iraqi forces launched a final assault on Mosul’s Old city, the last stronghold of ISIS […]
- U.S.-led Coalition Airstrikes Kill 14 Daesh (ISIL) Militants in Mosul EVENT SUMMARY U.S.-led coalition on Sunday 14th August 2016 conducted […]
- Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga Forces Launch Fresh Raids to Retake Mosul from ISIL OSINT SUMMARY Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga Forces have launched fresh raids in bid […]
- Iraqi Security Forces Kill Abu al-Harith al-Libi, a Senior Islamic State (Daesh) Commander near Shirqat OSINT SUMMARY Iraqi security forces have killed a senior Islamic State […]
- Iraq Receives New Batch of F-16 Fighter Jets from U.S. in Readiness of Mosul Offensive OSINT SUMMARY, August 9, 2016 Iraqi air force has so far received 10 […]
- Iraqi Army Forces Retakes Five Areas in Fallujah from Islamic State BAGHDAD, May 5, 2016 Iraqi army continues to battle Islamic State in Fallujah […]