Heads of State and Government from countries contributing troops to AMISOM Somalia concluded one day summit in Djibouti on Sunday 20th February 2016.
In their meeting they resolved to reinforce military operations in Somalia in order to effectively counter threats posed by Al-Shabaab.
The summit also discussed with their Somalia counterpart the need to have a better equipped and coordinated Somali National Army.
There is need for international community to actively being involved in the global terrorism threat and more so contribute in disabling channels used finance the Islamist jihadists groups.
Better equipped and strengthened SNA will be helpful in stabilization of newly liberated areas pinpointed as they prepare the eventual handover by AU peacekeepers in future.
According to the host — Djibouti President Ismail Omar Guelleh there is need to establish a common political goal for the realization of the mission as well as to analyze the challenges that AMISOM troops face in their line of duty.
On his part, co-host of the summit Presidents Sheikh Mohamud expressed confidence that resolutions made at the Summit would fast track critical security operations in Somalia.
The Summit recommended a review of immediate resumption of military operations.
Also discussed was the issue of finance and security in general as Somalia prepares for elections. Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta called for increased funding to facilitate military operations in Somalia.
AMISOM summit was attended by Presidents from Kenya, Somalia and Djibouti; Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn and Uganda, Burundi and Nigeria Defence Ministers. Other key stakeholders and Somalia’s partners were also in attendance.
- Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta, Commander in Chief Of Defence Forces Attend AMISOM’s Summit in Djibouti AMISOM SUMMIT DJIBOUTI February 28, 2016, Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenya who is the […]
- AU Special Envoy for Somalia Francisco Madeira, Holds Security Talks With Jubbaland President Ahmed Madobe KISMAYO Somalia, March 15, 2016 On Sunday 13th March 2016, the Special […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- Ethiopia To Deploy Additional Troops & Attack Helicopters To AMISOM MILITARY BRIEF Ethiopia revealed that it will send more troops and helicopters to […]
- President Hassan Sheikh Praises Burundi Contribution on the War Against Al-Shabaab in Somalia SOMALIA, March 18, 2016 President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud lauded […]
- Al-Shabaab Arms Smuggler Arrested in Dadaab Refugee Camp DADAAB Kenya, March 14, 2016 A high ranking Al-Shabaab operative was over […]
- Mandera Terror Attack Mastermind Mohamed Dubow Cross Back in Kenya, Police Offer 2 Million Bounty Reward EVENT SUMMARY Police has offered a Sh 2 million bounty reward for a most […]
- Somali National Army Troops Kill 7 Al-Shabaab Militants in Abdalla-Birole Southern Somalia MILITARY BRIEF March 2, 2016, Official military reports from Somalia indicate […]