Germany cabinet on Wednesday 14th September 2016 gave a green light to deploy 650 troops to join a new NATO mission aimed to combat arms smuggling by the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group in the Mediterranean Sea.
The German involvement in NATO’s sea operation will be expected to last until the end of 2017. In case of an exceptional emergency, more soldiers will be increased in the mission.
The deployment of troops in the Mediterranean Sea is a broader shift of Germany to expand it military role in Europe and NATO.
Germany Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen has sought to rebuild equipment and troop levels of the armed forces after years of declines.
NATO members agreed to launch the new maritime mission at a summit held in Poland in July this year.
So far, German ships are a participating in a European Union military mission called ‘Sophia’ aimed to combat the smuggling of weapons and people off the Libyan coast.
- Migrant Crisis: UK Agrees To Deploy Royal Navy Warship to Libya OSINT SUMMARY UK agreed to deploy Royal Navy warship to the Mediterranean to […]
- Turkish Forces Killed 3,000 Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, President Erdogan Says OSINT SUMMARY Turkey’s President Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday 11th May […]
- Obama Announces Deployment of 250 U.S. Special Forces To Syria HANNOVER GERMANY, April 26, 2016 U.S. President Barack Obama announced […]
- German Police Arrests 3 Islamic State (IS) Suspects Linked with Paris Attackers OSINT SUMMARY Germany police early in the week arrested three Islamic State […]
- German Troops To Be Deployed For Military Missions in Mali and Somalia OSINT SUMMARY, April 14, 2016 German cabinet has approved extension of their […]
- Russia To Consider Selling Arms To Somalia and Libya Once Situation Improves MILITARY ACQUISITIONS, May 12, 2016 Russia announced it is ready to supply […]
- NATO Troops & Afghan Air Force Destroy ISIL’s Afghan Radio Station, 46 Militants Killed EVENT SUMMARY 3rd February 2016, Recent military reports from Afghan’s Defence […]
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel Visit Mali, Niger; Discuss Security & Development German chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday 10th October 2016 visited Mali and Niger […]