Event: On Friday 15th May 2015, General Godefroid Niyombare of the Burundi Armed forces surrendered to the government of Burundi after admitting a coup he staged a day earlier had failed.
In a series of events that will shape the future of Burundi’s socio-politics, president Pierre Knurunziza returned to Bujumbura late Thursday from Tanzania after his military and intelligence service overturned the coup.
Ramifications of the Event (General Godefroid Niyombare)
The surrender of the former diplomat and intelligence chief signals a shift in political-military power dynamics in Burundi.
The political outlook of Burundi’s future after the failed coup is oblique. The government is likely to postpone elections citing deep ethno-political divisions.
- Burundi Coup Flops, President Pierre Nkurunziza Returns to Bujumbura Event: On Thursday 14th May 2015, Burundi President Pierre Nkurunziza left Tanzania and […]
- National Intelligence Service (NIS) Tasked to Preempt Corruption’s Threat to National Security of Kenya The President of the Republic of Kenya Uhuru Kenyatta issued a statement on Monday 23rd […]
- Major General Godefroid Niyombare Leads Military 2015 Burundi Coup On May 13th 2015 a Coup de-tat in Burundi was led by Major General Godefroid Niyombare […]
- Burundi Coup De-Tat Violence in Capital; Intelligence Warned of Coup and Possible Political Violence Midday 13 May, Major General Godefroid Niyombare issued a press statement from a […]
- Africa’s Agenda on Burundi Political Stability Ahead of June Elections, Pan-African Parliament Addresses Conflicts, Terrorism and Xenophobia attacks Event: Pan-African Parliament (PAP) holds its sixth session in South Africa on Monday, […]
- Burundi Army Arrest Coup Leaders, Demonstrating Stable Democracy and Military Loyalty Burundi’s political stand and future following a failed coup attempt to oust President […]
- Al-Shabaab Terrorist Arrested On-Board a United Nation’s (UN) Vehicle 1st December 2015, Kenya's Anti-Terror Police Unit arrested a most wanted terrorist and […]
- Kenyans in Burundi; Uncertainty on Burundi’s Government BURUNDI: Major General and former intelligence officer Godefroid Niyombare on 14th of […]