Is piracy returning to Somalia? Over the past weeks, Somali pirates have stepped up its attacks against commercial ships sailing in Somalia waters.
Security forces in Galmudug reportedly in the latest kidnapping managed to attack Somali pirates and subsequently freeing nine seamen kidnapped on an Indian commercial boat this month.
Confirming the incident, Galmudug’s minister for ports and sea transport Burhan Warsame, said the pirates took the crew onshore in Galmudug area in central Somalia on Monday where Galmudug forces engaged them two days later.
We rescued the nine crew members and they are healthy and safe was quoted as saying.
The pirates captured the Indian commercial boat known as Al Kausar earlier this month.
Hobyo district commissioner, Abdullahi Ali Ahmed told Voa Somali that they captured four of the pirates in the raid.
- Somali Security Forces Take Over Boat Seized by Pirates Somali security forces managed to take over boat that had been seized by Somali […]
- 12 Somali Nationals Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison for Piracy OSINT SUMMARY On Thursday 11th August 2016, twelve Somali nationals were to […]
- Somali Pirates Release Oil Tanker & Crew after a Week in Captivity Latest reports from Somali’s semi-autonomous state of Puntland indicate that […]
- EU Naval Force Warships Joins Fresh Counter Piracy Patrols Off Somalia In the past week, EU warships have joined fresh counter piracy off the coast of […]
- Puntland Sends Maritime Forces to Bari Coastal Areas on Rescue Mission of Vessel Hijacked by Somali Pirates Somali’s Puntland has deployed more maritime forces to the coastal areas of […]
- Suspected Somali Pirates Seize Merchant Vessel Carrying Oil from UAE Suspected Somali pirates have seized a merchant vessel carrying oil from The United […]
- Taiwan Govt To Fund Somali Coastal Radar Surveillance System OSINT SUMMARY, Somalia, April 20, 2016 Taiwan Govt agreed to fund […]
- U.S. Court Sentences 3 Somali Pirates; 2 Sentenced to Life in Prison A U.S. court has sentenced three Somali pirates. Two Somali pirates have been […]