Fresh fighting has been report in South Sudan between government forces and opposition loyal forces near the northern town of Marakal with at least 56 being killed according to military spokesman.
Brigadier General Lul Ruai Koang, Sudan People's Liberation Army spokesman told media outlets that fresh fighting erupted late Friday with fighters loyal to the former Vice President Riek Machar attacking two government bases near Malakal.
According to Koang 56 rebel fighters were killed and dozens of weapons seized, without giving causalities from the government side.
"They attacked us on the western side of the Nile. Over 56 rebels were killed," Koang said.
Corresponding report by a local commander Butrus Bol Bol confirmed to the media in Malakal that the rebels attacked their bases at Worjok and Alelo, West of the River Nile late Friday.
Koang noted that the rebel forces have intensified attacks on government units adding in the past week, the army registered eight attacks from the rebels.
He further said another 62 were killed across South Sudan in similar clashes last week.
- Renewed Fighting Between South Sudan Army and Unknown Gunmen Leaves 20 Killed At least 20 people have reportedly been killed and 10 others wounded inn renewed […]
- Sudan Armed Rebels Release over 130 Army Captives Armed Sudanese rebel group on Saturday said it released more than 130 army […]
- Renewed Fighting in South Kordofan, Sudanese Army & SPLM-N Trade Accusations Renewed fighting in south Kordofan has resulted to Sudanese army and SPLM-N trade […]
- South Sudan Army (SPLA) Refute Report of Ongoing Fighting around Juba Claimed by Rival Army (SPLA-IO) EVENT SUMMARY In the past few days, opposition army loyal to the former First […]
- U.S. Accuse South Sudan Govt of Aiding Armed Opposition in Khartoum U.S. has accused South Sudan’s government of continuous harbouring and aiding […]
- Sudan Threatens to Close Border if Juba Fails to Expel Rebels OSINT SUMMARY Sudanese government on Sunday 18th September 2016 threatened […]
- South Sudan President Salva Kiir Orders Expulsion of Sudanese Rebels South Sudanese President Salva Kiir has ordered all the country’s security […]
- Dozens UK Troops Arrive in South Sudan on a Support Mission Dozens of British troops on Tuesday arrived in South Sudan capital, Juba on a support […]