- August 11, 2015- Kenya’s Commander-in-Chief President Uhuru Kenyatta made instrumental changes in the Kenya Defence Forces top leadership.
- Brigadier Levi Franklin Mghalu was promoted to Major General and appointed as the New Navy Commander
- Major General Ngewa Mukala former Navy Commander was appointed as the Defence Staff College
- Colonel Fatumah Ahmed made history by being the first woman to reach the Brigadier position and was named director of the Defence Forces Medical Insurance Scheme
- Other posting as recommended by the Defence Council include 10 other Colonels promoted to Brigadier rank and given new positions
Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta under the advice and recommendation of the Defence Council made very key appointments in the top leadership of the Kenya Defence Forces.
Colonel Fatumah Ahmed made history by being the first woman to reach the Brigadier position and was named director of the Defence Forces Medical Insurance Scheme. Colonel Fatumah Ahmed makes history in KDF as being the first female officer to rise to that senior rank.
Maj. Gen. Levi Franklin Mghalu was promoted from the position of brigadier and appointed as the new Navy Commander.
Maj. Gen. Ngewa Mukala who was the navy commander prior to the changes has been posted to the Commandant of the Defence Staff College.
Maj. Gen. George Mayamba Owino was posted as the Commandant of the Kenya Military Academy
Other postings and promotions were of 10 colonels to brigadier ranks and posted to different posts:
- George Odhiambo Walwa- Chief of Operations Defence Headquarters
- Muta Nderitu- Director International Peace Support Training Centre
- Godfrey Aumah Buluma – Chief of Operations Plans & Training at the Army Headquarters
- James Magige Gitiba- Chief of Logistics Kenya Army Headquarters
- Simon Mureithi Wachira- Deputy Commandant/ Chief Instructor Defence Staff College
- Vincent Naisho Loonena- Mtongwe Base Commander
- Martin Kizito Onyango Ong’onyi- Head of Personnel Defence Headquarters
- Daniel Kimutai Pyaban- Rapid Deployment Capability Commander
- William K Karisa Shume- Commander 6 Brigade
- Henry Noah Ofulah- Commander Kahawa Garrison
The changes in the Defence Forces are expected to invigorate the operations and efficacy of all arms of the KDF and at the same type introduce new strategies into the service.