In the past week, EU warships have joined fresh counter piracy off the coast of Somalia.
EU Naval Force including Spanish flagship, ESPS Galicia and French Frigate, FS Courbet have conducted joint counter-piracy patrols off the Somalia maritime coast.
Using EU Naval Force warships, helicopters and maritime patrol aircraft carry out coordinated patrols along the Somali maritime coast and patrols further deep into the sea on regular basis.
Maritime patrols demonstrate of European Union’s continued commitment on helping Somalia, especially World Food Programme humanitarian aid vessels and other cargo ships targeted by militia and pirates as they transit through the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden.
Recently, pirates had hijacked a fuel tanker, Aris 13 an indicator that armed pirates still have capability and intent of carrying out these attacks on Somalia coast.
Speaking about the recent pirate attack, EU NAVFOR’s Force Commander, Rafael Fernández-Pintado Muñoz-Rojas, while on board ESPS Galicia, stated:
We are all relieved that the crew from Aris 13 is now safe and able to contact their families. The attack highlights that we must not become complacent as the threat is real. I am proud of the men and women in my force who are working tirelessly to deter attacks on seafarers and their vessels.
- Taiwan Govt To Fund Somali Coastal Radar Surveillance System OSINT SUMMARY, Somalia, April 20, 2016 Taiwan Govt agreed to fund […]
- Somali Security Forces Take Over Boat Seized by Pirates Somali security forces managed to take over boat that had been seized by Somali […]
- Puntland Government Forces Displays Freed hijacked Vessel, Sri-Lankan & Crew Puntland government forces on Sunday displayed the freed hijacked vessel Aris 13 and […]
- Galmudug Security Forces Free 9 Seamen from Somali Pirates Is piracy returning to Somalia? Over the past weeks, Somali pirates have stepped up […]
- EU Extends Two Somalia Missions to 2018 The European Union (EU) announced on December 12, 2016 that it has extended two […]
- EU Appoints Brigadier Robert Magowan As New Operation Commander for EU NAVFOR Somalia OSINT SUMMARY, May 19, 2016 EU has appointed Brigadier Robert Magowan to be […]
- U.S. Court Sentences 3 Somali Pirates; 2 Sentenced to Life in Prison A U.S. court has sentenced three Somali pirates. Two Somali pirates have been […]
- 7 Somali Pirates Facing Charges For 2011 Hijacking Of A French-Owned Catamaran In Gulf Of Aden March 29, 2016: 7 suspected Somali pirates are expected to go on trial in France in […]