8th February 2016, Egyptian police shot and killed four suspected Islamist militants inside a house a few miles from central Cairo.
According to Interior Ministry, the Sunday police raid was a success saying the four were allegedly plotting to commit an attack.
The ministry also revealed the slain suspects belonged to Ajnad Misr, a militant linked group that emerged in January 2014 and has been targeting security forces in and around Cairo.
The suspects who had barricaded themselves inside a house opened the gunfire first to the police.
The engagement resulted in the deaths of the four Ajnad Misr elements and recovering of an assault rifle – a 9mm pistol, an improvised firearm, a car believed to have been used in previous terrorist attacks and a motorcycle without registration number plates.
The suspects were also believed to be behind the killing of two policemen, a soldier and a civilian. The slain also were also suspected of blowing up a police vehicle and bombing a security checkpoint the ministry statement added
Egypt is fighting an Islamist insurgency in the restive Sinai Peninsula that gained momentum in mid-2013 when the military ousted Muslim Brotherhood president Mohamed Mursi after mass protests against his rule.
- Al-Shabaab Terrorist Arrested On-Board a United Nation’s (UN) Vehicle 1st December 2015, Kenya's Anti-Terror Police Unit arrested a most wanted terrorist and […]
- Two Terrorists Linked To Islamic State Gunned Down by Egyptian Police in Cairo EVENT SUMMARY Two terrorists were on Wednesday 3rd February 2016 gunned down in a […]
- Cameroon Soldiers Liberate A Town in Northeastern Nigerian from Boko Haram; Over 160 Militants Killed OSINT SUMMARY YAOUNDE: Cameroon claims that its soldiers have liberated northeastern […]
- Four Somali Nationals Charged and Fined 5.5 Million Each Over Illegal Travel Documents in Kenya OSINT SUMMARY 5th February 2016, Four Somali nationals who were arrested have […]
- Somalia National Army (SNA) Kill 8 Al-Shabaab Militants in Central Somalia EVENT SUMMARY MOGADISHU, Friday 5th February 2016, the Somalia National Army (SNA) on […]
- U.S. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper Says Homegrown Extremists Tops Terrorist Threat List KEY HIGHLIGHTS U.S. Director of National Intelligence (DNI) James Clapper has […]
- UPDF Contingent Change Positions in AMISOM Citing Tactical Reasons MILITARY REPORT AMISOM components have in the past weeks changing positions for […]
- Ethiopia To Deploy Additional Troops & Attack Helicopters To AMISOM MILITARY BRIEF Ethiopia revealed that it will send more troops and helicopters to […]