Following twin church bombings claimed by ISIS terrorist group, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has announced a three-month state of emergency.
So far 44 people reported dead by the ministry of health while more than 78 are hospitalized some with critical injuries from the bombing that happened as Christians celebrated Palm Sunday.
ISIS attacks in the Nile Delta cities of Tanta and Alexandria followed a Cairo church bombing in December last year and came weeks before a planned visit by Catholic Pope Francis intended to show support for Egypt's Christian minority.
The first bombing at the Mar Girgis church in Tanta city north of Cairo killed 27 people, the health ministry said.
Emergency services had scrambled to the scene when another blast rocked St Mark's church in Alexandria where Coptic Pope Tawadros II had been leading a Palm Sunday service.
Another 17 people including at least four police officers were killed in that attack, which the interior ministry said was caused by a suicide bomber who blew himself up when prevented from entering the church.
The ministry confirmed that Tawadros was unharmed, and a church official said he left before the explosion.
Eyewitnesses said a police officer detected the bomber before he blew himself up.
- ISIS Kill 21, Injures 69 Others Inside a Church in Egyptian Nile Delta At least 21 were killed and 69 others injured inside a church in Egyptian church in […]
- Egypt Police Kill 7 Suspected ISIL Operatives Egypt police have killed seven suspected ISIL operatives believed to be behind […]
- Daesh Terrorists Attack in Egypt’s Sinai kills 1 Police Officer, Near St. Catherine’s Monastery Gunmen on Tuesday evening attacked security forces near St. Catherine's Monastery […]
- ISIS Threatens Christians in Egypt in Video Featuring St. Mark’s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral Bomber The Islamic State (ISIS) released its first video from Egypt separate from […]
- Egypt Air Strikes Kill 19 Islamic State Terrorists in Sinai Egypt air force conducted success air strikes against terrorists’ position in […]
- Terrorists Kill Christian in Egypt’s Sinai, Second Time in a Week Terrorists linked to the Islamic States gunned down a Coptic Christian teacher on his […]
- Muslim brotherhood Members Sentenced To Life For Torching Egyptian Coptic Church A court in Egypt on Wednesday jailed for life 69 Islamists belonging to the Muslim […]
- Kenya Heighten Security Ahead of Pope Francis Visit Next Week Monday 17th November 2015, Kenya has beefed up security across the country in readiness […]