March 2, 2016: Heads of State for the East African Community Countries have arrived in Arusha Tanzania for the 17th Ordinary East African Community Heads of State Summit.
The Heads of State are expected to launch the new regional e-passport that will allow free travelling of citizens of the countries freely in the region a move that has been lauded as by economists as it will boost trade amongst the member states.
Top on the agenda is discussion of the admission of South Sudan and Somalia into the community as well as Sustainable Financing Mechanism for the EAC.
Additionally they will discuss the Council of Ministers reports on:
- The Model, Structure and Action Plan of the EAC Political Federation
- Implementation of the Framework for Harmonized EAC Roaming Charges;
- Modalities for Promotion of Motor Vehicle Assembly in the region and Reduction of the Importation of Used Motor Vehicles from Outside the Community
- the Promotion of the Textile and Leather Industries in the region, and stopping importation of Used Clothes, Shoes and Other Leather Products from outside the region.
The summit is expect to yield favorable resolutions for local industries by limiting excessive importation of good and rather promoting intra-regional trade and business opportunities.
Security especially in relations to recent increased attacks by al Shabaab in Somalia and the Burundi crisis will also be key agendas as the primary goals (One People, One Destiny) of the EAC mutual growth and cooperation which loosely translates to security instigation in all member states.
- South Sudan Conflict, Combating Terrorism Tops President Uhuru Kenyatta & U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry Discussion Monday 22nd August 2016, President Kenyatta and US Secretary of State John Kerry have […]
- Leaders who Attended 28th AU Summit in Addis Ababa Hail Progress in Africa The recently concluded 28th Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia hailed on significant […]
- South Sudan Officially Admitted To The East African Community Economic Bloc Highlights: South Sudan has officially been admitted to the East African […]
- Kenya Ready to Help South Sudan Handle Economic Challenges Following years of conflict/civil war in the world’s youngest nation, South […]
- South Sudan Peace Deal Set To Boost Kenya’s Trade ECONOMIC BRIEF, May 5, 2016 South Sudan peace deal is set to boost […]
- Security Heightened in Mogadishu as Somalia Set to Host IGAD Summit OSINT SUMMARY Security has been heightened up in Mogadishu as Somalia is set […]
- Kenya Ask Help from France to Secure Regional Peace & Stability OSINT SUMMARY President Uhuru Kenyatta has called on France to support […]
- Former UN Chief Lauds Kenya on Promoting Regional Peace Former UN chief, Ban Ki-moon lauded Kenya for playing a pivotal role in promoting […]