General David Petraeus has stated that Shiite militias pose the most significant threat to the security of Iraq. The General considers the Islamic State as a secondary threat to Iraq, despite undeniable facts which prove that ISIL’s terrorist campaign in Iraq and Syria has led to a brutal decline to the quality of lives in the two nations as ISIL fighters have brutally murdered civilians, police officers, religious leaders and children, as well as enslaving women, girls and children. ISIL has also embarked on a mission to destroy the history of Mesopotamia and the Levant region, and substitute it with their Wahhabi version of history.
The Shiite militias have preserved the national government as well as prevented the ISIL from advancing into Baghdad. Their emergence was as a result of the collapse of the Iraqi National Army under the pressure of ISIL’s military offensive across the Sunni heartland of Iraq. Iran entered into the Iraqi conflict in order to stabilize the beleaguered Iraqi Government as well as contain ISIL expansion across Iraq and Syria.
Iran does have regional ambitions, and their foreign policy which is geared towards realigning the regional equilibrium has alarmed neighboring Sunni autocracies, and they have countered Iran’s move by covertly supporting ISIL. General David Petraeus statements have been influenced by the existing geopolitical dynamics as well as US alliance with the Sunni autocracies; but the statements do not have any inherent accuracy on their own. Such political statements are aimed at assuaging the fear of the undemocratic and oppressive Arab autocracies, that US will prevent Iraq from falling within the Persian sphere of influence.
- ISIL Defeats Iraqi National Army In Fallujah, Overruns Headquarters Of The 26th Brigade In a spectacular feat of tactical brilliance, ISIL has defeated the Iraqi National Army […]
- U.S. Supports Iraqi forces and Shiite Militias; Coalition Strikes ISIL in Tikrit Military operations in Tikrit were on Wednesday led by a coalition between the US army, […]
- Iranian-backed Shiite Coalition Captures Central Tikrit. After an intense battle that has lasted several weeks, the Iraqi army aided by Shiite […]
- 10 Dead, Scores Wounded In Car Bomb In Baghdad, Iraq At least 10 civilians were killed in Baghdad after a car rigged with explosives exploded […]
- “Jihadi Brides” under Kenya’s Custody had Links to Islamic State, Why Kenya Should be More Worried about ISIS Kenya’s intelligence officers are calling on the government to further intensify the […]
- Islamic State Kills 30 Iraqi Soldiers in New Video as Forces Clear Militants from Bases The Islamic State has released a new video showcasing recent battles in the Al Sufiyah […]
- Bangladeshi Hostages in Libyan Oil Field Attack Released By Islamic State Two Bangladeshi citizens who were kidnapped from the al-Ghani oil field in Libya were […]
- Foreign Fighters Joining Jihadist Outfits Hits Record High; UN Report Says A report by the United Nations has cautioned that Iraq and Syria have becoming […]