According to Mombasa County Commissioner Maalim Mohamed, the two week operation targeted gang members that reportedly has been harassing Mombasa residents.
21 members of the dreaded Wakali Wao in Kisauni Sub-county have been arrested and eight members of Wakali Kwanza in Mombasa Sub-county are also in police custody. One member of Watalia gang in Likoni has also been apprehended in intensified police operations.
Authorities are also investigating whether there is a political angle to the rising number of gangs in Mombasa, Maalim added.
Maalim expressed fears that the criminal gangs may be used to disrupt peace as the country is warming up to the political campaigns next year (2017).
Corresponding security and local resident's reports indicate the gang walk in groups of about 10-15 members, wielding crude weapons; knives and pangas.
- Police Launch Crackdown on Crude Weapons, Criminal Gangs in Lamu Police launched a crackdown to recover crude weapons reportedly seen carried by […]
- Wakali Kwanza Criminal Gang Sexually Terrorizing Women in Mombasa A knife welding Wakali Kwanza criminal gang is sexually terrorizing women in Mombasa […]
- Police Arrest 17 Armed Youths in Mombasa, Link them to Dread Criminal Gangs EVENT SUMMARY, April 17, 2016 Police in Mombasa have arrested 17 youths […]
- One Member of Wakali Kwanza Gang Shot Dead, Seven Arrested in Kisauni Mombasa KISAUNI Mombasa, March 17, 2016 One member of Wakali Kwanza criminal gang has […]
- Six Criminal Gang Members Arrested in Majengo, Mombasa Mombasa, KENYA Police arrested six criminal gang members and recovered crude […]
- Police Shoot Wakali Kwanza Gang Member; Arrest 7 Others in Kisauni, Mombasa OSINT SUMMARY June 17, 2016, Police in Mombasa shot dead a gang member of the […]
- Police Conduct Operation against Criminal Gangs, Women among those Arrested in Mombasa Crackdown Mombasa police over the weekend conducted a major operation targeting criminal gang […]
- Kenya Government’s Amnesty Offer Attracts Criminal Gangs, Over 220 Criminals in Mombasa Surrender to Police Kenya government’s amnesty offer has attracted criminal gangs in […]