The new contingent replaces the 34th battalion that has completed one year tour of duty in Somalia.
952 soldiers of the 40th battalion left Burundi for Somalia to serve under AMISOM. According to Burundian Army Spokesman Colonel Gaspard Baratuza briefing reporters as soldiers were boarding an aircraft to Somalia and will be deployed in their sector.
The spokesman also noted that the issues of salary have been addressed empathizing on the troops commitment to defeating Al-Shabaab, a transnational terrorist outfit that has destabilized Somalia for years.
Baratuza said that the salary arrears for January, February and 14 days of March for last year will be soon available at the Burundi Central Bank before transferring the salary to beneficiaries’ accounts.
Burundi is among the main contributors of troops in the AMISOM. Other troops contributors includes Kenya, Uganda, Djibouti and Ethiopia.
AMISOM has a strong force of 22,000 soldiers deployed in various sectors in Somalia to fight Al Shabaab militants.
Burundi has the second biggest AMISOM contingent – after Uganda – of some 5,400 soldiers.
- Burundi Sends Fresh Contingent to AU Mission in Somalia Burundi has deployed a fresh contingent to AU Mission in Somalia. The troop […]
- Uganda in Talks With African Union Over Pay Delays For Peacekeepers OSINT SUMMARY Uganda military has launched engagement with African Union (AU) […]
- Burundi & African Union Resolve AMISOM Salary Dispute Burundi and the African Union (AU) on Thursday 17/2/2017 reached an agreement on […]
- Al-Shabaab Attack SNA-KDF-AMISOM Base in El-Adde, Gedo, Somalia SUMMARY Suicide Bomber detonated an SVBIED at AMISOM camp main entrance SNA Troops […]
- 10 Years on, UPDF’s Long Battle against Harakat Shabaab Mujahideen Movement in Somalia Key Points 10 Years on since entry of UPDF in Somalia 44,999 […]
- Review AMISOM Funding, Uganda now Wants 6th February 2017, Kampala: Uganda has called on the concerned partners to review the […]
- AMISOM-Burundian Contingent Deploy a New Commander, Brig. General Venuste Nduwayo July 14, 2016, AMISOM-Burundi’s contingent has deployed a new commander to take […]
- 4,000 Extra AMISOM Troops Needed to Liberate More Areas in Somalia According to a report compiled by CCTV news, African Union Mission in Somalia […]