A top advisor to Burundi’s President Pierre Nkurunziza on Monday 29th November 2016 escaped an assassination attempt in the capital Bujumbura.
Willy Nyamitwe, the most public face of the government, was going home on Monday night when he was met with gun fire and a grenade explosion according to a high ranking official.
On of Nyamitwe’s bodyguards was killed and another one injured. Nyamitwe suffered minor injuries on his arm.
Police said the attackers were waiting in a nearby house under construction before launching the ambush.
"Thank God, Willy Nyamitwe narrowly escaped an attack…," tweeted Burundi's UN ambassador Albert Shingiro.
Burundi has been in turmoil since President Pierre Nkurunziza declared plans in April, a year ago to keep running for a third term, which he went ahead to win.
- Rwandan Government Refute Claims on Supporting Rebels to Oust Burundi’s Nkurunziza OSINT REPORT Rwandan government has denies claims that it has been supporting […]
- Burundi, DRC Urge UN To Take Action Against Rwanda; Recruiting And Arming Burundian Rebels Highlights: Burundi and Democratic Republic of Congo through a letter to UN Security […]
- Burundi’s President Pierre Nkurunziza Condemns Army General’s Killing As Violence Escalates BUJUMBURA Burundi, April 26, 2016 Burundi’s President Pierre Nkurunziza […]
- Burundi Lawmakers Call for Withdrawal of Troops from Somalia, Blames EU Burundian lawmakers have called on the government to withdrawal troops battling […]
- Burundi Agrees Deployment of AU Troops To Restore Peace EVENT SUMMARY Burundi agreed AU to deploy to troops and observers as part of […]
- SNA, AMISOM Forces Kill Al Shabaab Commander & Destroy Base in Bakol Raid OSINT SUMMARY Sunday 6th December 2015, a senior Al Shabaab commander was […]
- Burundi-Rwanda Diplomatic Row, Worsening BUJUMBURA Burundi, March 13, 2016 Diplomatic relations between Burundi and […]
- Retired Burundian Army Colonel Shot Dead Amid Tension in Bujumbura OSINT SUMMARY A Burundian retired army colonel was shot dead and his son […]