A Military coup had been staged by an army general, formerly an intelligence chief, and an ambassador to Kenya Major General Godefroid Niyombare on Wednesday 13th of May 2015.
The whereabouts of Major General Godefroid Niyombare are not known.
10 Soldiers were killed during a military operation conducted by forces loyal to Burundi President Pierre Nkurunziza.
The operation against rebel army officers was commissioned by Army chief of staff Gen Prime Niyongabo.
Situation Assessment and Future Outlook
The return of President Pierre Nkurunziza to Bujumbura is a strategic political goal whose ramifications on current and future politics of the country are far reaching.
The Burundi army has sought to pardon renegade officers and their political backers in an attempt to reconcile the country.
However, President Pierre Nkurunziza is now not only powerful but a strongman.
Reversing coups is not easy and requires both foreign and internal coordination of military, police and intelligence services operations.
Unless regionally pressured, Burundi President Pierre Nkurunziza may chart a hostile political future for opposition politicians involved in the coup.
- National Intelligence Service (NIS) Tasked to Preempt Corruption’s Threat to National Security of Kenya The President of the Republic of Kenya Uhuru Kenyatta issued a statement on Monday 23rd […]
- General Godefroid Niyombare, Burundi Coup Leader Surrenders Event: On Friday 15th May 2015, General Godefroid Niyombare of the Burundi Armed forces […]
- Burundi Coup De-Tat Violence in Capital; Intelligence Warned of Coup and Possible Political Violence Midday 13 May, Major General Godefroid Niyombare issued a press statement from a […]
- Heavy Fighting in Burundi After Military Splits to Factions Event; Burundi President Pierre Nkurunziza attempted to return to the Capital Bunjumbura […]
- Major General Godefroid Niyombare Leads Military 2015 Burundi Coup On May 13th 2015 a Coup de-tat in Burundi was led by Major General Godefroid Niyombare […]
- Burundi-Rwanda Diplomatic Row, Worsening BUJUMBURA Burundi, March 13, 2016 Diplomatic relations between Burundi and […]
- Burundi Coup Report OSINT Reports indicate there is a possibility a military coup has happened in Burundi, […]
- Al-Shabaab Terrorist Arrested On-Board a United Nation’s (UN) Vehicle 1st December 2015, Kenya's Anti-Terror Police Unit arrested a most wanted terrorist and […]