Burundi & African Union Resolve AMISOM Salary Dispute
Burundi and the African Union (AU) on Thursday 17/2/2017 reached an agreement on modalities of payment of Burundian troops battling Al-Qaeda linked Al-Shabaab in Somalia.
According to First Vice President of Burundi Gaston Sindimwo, they signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) after meeting with AU’s Commissioner for Peace and Security, Smaïl Chergui.
The MoU signed Thursday was between AU envoys and a Burundian delegation which included the Foreign Affairs, Public Security and Defense Ministers.
Burundi has been threatening to withdraw troops deployed in Somalia under the AMISOM mandate citing salary problems which are financed by the European Union (EU), but the payment arrangements are governed by an agreement between the AU and the contributing countries.
AMISOM has a strong force of 22,000 soldiers deployed in various sectors in Somalia to fight Al Shabaab militants.
Burundi has the second biggest AMISOM contingent – after Uganda – of some 5,400 soldiers.
- Burundi Lawmakers Call for Withdrawal of Troops from Somalia, Blames EU Burundian lawmakers have called on the government to withdrawal troops battling […]
- Review AMISOM Funding, Uganda now Wants 6th February 2017, Kampala: Uganda has called on the concerned partners to review the […]
- African Union Extends Peacekeeping Mission in Somalia by a Year OSINT SUMMARY On Wednesday 11th May 2016, the African Union announced the […]
- Burundi Sends Fresh Contingent to AU Mission in Somalia Burundi has deployed a fresh contingent to AU Mission in Somalia. The troop […]
- 4,000 Extra AMISOM Troops Needed to Liberate More Areas in Somalia According to a report compiled by CCTV news, African Union Mission in Somalia […]
- SNA, AMISOM Forces Kill Al Shabaab Commander & Destroy Base in Bakol Raid OSINT SUMMARY Sunday 6th December 2015, a senior Al Shabaab commander was killed […]
- Kenya, Ethiopia To Increase Airstrikes Against Al Shabaab: To Reduce Operational Cost Of Ground Boots Key Points: AMISOM troops in Somalia will need to concentrate the attack module to […]
- AU Criticizes The EU Allowance Cuts To AMISOM Personnel, Strategizing On Long-Term Funding Framework Highlights: 10th February 2016: the African Union has criticized the European Union’s […]