Boko Haram has drastically scaled down attacks in Cameroon in the recent months, security analysts said on Wednesday, suggesting a regional security force is gaining ground against the Islamist terrorists.
Boko Haram which is an official Islamic State branch based in Nigeria’s northeast region last year raided Cameroon and other neighbours including Mali, Chad, Niger and Benin to expand its ‘caliphate’ but those efforts have significantly been stemmed down according to International Crisis Group (ICG).
The report came days after security and U.N. sources said hundreds of Boko Haram fighters and their families had surrendered on another frontline in Chad.
Boko Haram has suffered heavy losses and has seen its conventional capacities reduced," the study said, partly courtesy to last year's formation of a 10,000-strong regional force with troops drawn from Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon, Benin and Chad.
Recruitment is also faltering in Cameroon although forced enlistment remains a risk, ICG further noted in their analysis.
ICG study say faction around the Lake Chad Basin represents the stronger branch of the Boko Haram, loyal to Islamic State (IS) terrorist group currently led by Abu Musab al-Barnawi.
Another Boko Haram faction led by Abubaker Shekau is based further south in Nigeria's Sambisa forest.
- Asymmetric War, Niger Army Operations Against Boko Haram DIFFA, Niger, March 10, 016 The national guard of Niger continues with patrols […]
- West African Countries To Set Joint Anti-extremist Force EVENT SUMMARY June 7, 2016, West African leaders resolved to set up a joint […]
- EU Sign 50 Million Euros Agreement to Help Multi-national Force against Boko Haram OSINT SUMMARY The European Union has signed a 50 million Euro agreement […]
- Boko Haram Fighters Surrendering in Large Numbers Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari has said that Boko Haram fighters are […]
- Nigerian Army Thwarts Boko Haram Attack, Kill 5 Islamists in Maiduguri OSINT SUMMARY At least five Boko Haram Islamists reportedly an attack in the […]
- Islamic State Announces Abu Musab al-Barnawi New Boko Haram Emir, Shekau Insists He is Still In-charge The Middle East based Islamic State on Wednesday3rd August 2016 in an audio released […]
- Two Guinean UN Peacekeepers Killed in Attack in Northern Mali EVENT SUMMARY BAMAKO, 12th February 2016 Two Guinean peacekeepers were killed in […]
- Nigerian Troops Repel Boko Haram Suicide Bombers, Kill 6 Militants MAIDUGURI, Nigeria, 17/2/2017: Latest military reports from Nigeria indicate at least […]