Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari has said that Boko Haram fighters are surrendering “en masse” in Chad.
President Buhari was speaking at a regional summit on peace and security in Dakar.
According Buhari, both Nigerian and Chadian Boko Haram fighters are downing their guns in Chad following intensified offensive launched by a multinational force.
Last September, the Nigerian army launched an operation targeting the militant’s hideouts. The operation registered success with about 135 Boko Haram being killed in the air raid in a small town not far from the border with Cameroon. Militant weapons were also destroyed.
Boko Haram launched its insurgency in north-eastern Nigeria in 2009, but has stepped up operations in Chad and other neighbouring states in recent years.
Muhammadu Buhari noted that the end of Boko Haram now linked to Islamic State terrorist group was “in sight”, with the militants holding no territory in any of Nigeria’s 774 local government areas.
- Asymmetric War, Niger Army Operations Against Boko Haram DIFFA, Niger, March 10, 016 The national guard of Niger continues with patrols […]
- Nigeria, Cameroon Joint Operations Leave 23 Boko Haram Terrorists Killed, 150 Captives Rescued OSINT SUMMARY Wednesday 24th February 2016, 23 Boko Haram terrorists were killed in a […]
- Boko Haram Terrorist Group seen Weakening in Cameroon Boko Haram has drastically scaled down attacks in Cameroon in the recent months, […]
- Islamic State Announces Abu Musab al-Barnawi New Boko Haram Emir, Shekau Insists He is Still In-charge The Middle East based Islamic State on Wednesday3rd August 2016 in an audio released […]
- Nigerian Army Claim Victory Over Boko Haram After Killing 19 in Borno Attack OSINT SUMMARY Nigerian troops on Saturday 4th June 2016 claimed victory over […]
- Nigerian Army Thwarts Boko Haram Attack, Kill 5 Islamists in Maiduguri OSINT SUMMARY At least five Boko Haram Islamists reportedly an attack in the […]
- Nigerian Troops Thwart and Repel Boko Haram Attack, 16 Militants Killed & Weapon Cache Recovered OSINT SUMMARY A statement by Nigerian army a spokesman Colonel Sani Usman […]
- Nigerian Troops Repel Boko Haram Suicide Bombers, Kill 6 Militants MAIDUGURI, Nigeria, 17/2/2017: Latest military reports from Nigeria indicate at least […]