Barcelona attack: 18-year-old identified as suspected van driver – latest updates

Hours after van killed 13 people and injured 100 in Las Ramblas, seaside town of Cambrils hit by second vehicle attack, leaving one dead and six wounded

What we know so far

The death toll of the attacks in Spain has risen to 14 people; two of whom have been named: Bruno Gulotta, a father of two, with and 44-year-old Elke Vanbockrijck from the Belgian town of Tongeren.

Spanish police are searching for Moussa Oukabir, who they believe was driving the van in the Barcelona attack. He is the younger brother of Driss Oukabir – one of three people arrested by police thus far.

The UK Foreign Office confirmed it was helping a “small number” of British citizens caught up in the Barcelona attack, though it would not say whether they had been injured.

Here is what we know about the related terror attacks that took place on Thursday and Friday:

Cambrils

  • A second terror attack took place in Cambrils, a coastal town around 120km from Barcelona, in the early hours of Friday morning.
  • One person was killed and five bystanders and one police officer were injured – two seriously – when they were reportedly deliberately hit by a car.
  • The attackers were wearing fake suicide vests according to Catalan officials cited by El Pais.
  • The Audi A3 used in the Cambrils attack was removed by police. Its back window was smashed and it was lying upside down.
  • Police officers shot dead five suspects, some of whom were wearing what appeared to be explosive belts.
  • Javier Zaragoza, the head of the Audiencia Nacional, the court that deals with terror offences, said on Friday that those killed had no known links to jihadism.
Read Also:  Police Investigating Mosque in Likoni over Radicalization Claims

Barcelona

  • The first victim of the Barcelona attack was named as Italian father-of-two, Bruno Gulotta. He was on holiday with his partner and children, according to his workmates.
  • Spanish police are hunting teenager Moussa Oukabir, who is suspected of being the driver of the van in the Barcelona attack.
  • A minute’s silence was held in Barcelona’s main square, followed by several minutes of applause. Spain’s king Felipe its prime minister Mariano Rajoy attended. A minute’s silence was also held at the EU buildings in Brussels.
  • A seven-year-old Australian boy, Julian Cadman, became separated from his mother, who is in a serious but stable condition in hospital.
  • Authorities say the Cambrils attack is linked to the terrorist assault on Barcelona on Thursday, when a man drove a van into pedestrians in Las Ramblas, killing 13 people and injuring 100 more.
  • Two suspects arrested on Thursday are being held on suspicion of links to the Barcelona attack, but police say neither of them is the driver.
  • A second van that was believed to have been used as a getaway vehicle for the Barcelona attacker was found abandoned in Vic, 80km away.
  • Isis has claimed responsibility for the attack in Las Ramblas, but this could not be verified.

Alcanar

  • Officials are also linking the two attacks to an earlier explosion that destroyed a house in Alcanar, killing one person and wounding at least one more. Police now say they believe explosives were being prepared at the property.
  • Alcanar is around 200km (124 miles) from Barcelona and 90km (56 miles) from Cambrils.

Sant Just Desvern

  • On Thursday, a shootout at a police roadblock in a town close to Barcelona left a man dead. Police said it was not connected to the attack in Las Ramblas.
  • On Friday morning, it emerged that the dead man – the owner of the car – was not in the driver’s seat and had in fact been stabbed to death.
  • A hunt is now underway for the person driving the car to the roadblock.
  • It is possible that this incident is also linked to the attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils, and the explosion in Alcanar.
Read Also:  Yemeni Crisis Worsens As Country Impenetrable To Humanitarian Aid
More from Bluwstein Rachel

Five Television Crew Killed By Islamic State in Libya

The Islamic State in Libya has killed five television crew that are...
Read More
Comments